Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe has encountered a problem & more  (Read 2493 times)

SJL

ashWebSv.exe has encountered a problem & more
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:16:18 PM »
I just downloaded Avast, and when I log in, I get a red warning message in the lower right corner saying there is a problem, click here for details.  The details say something like "The package is broken."

Then when I try to access the internet (usiing IE), I get the message "ashWebSv.exe has encountered a problem and is shutting down".

Meanwhile, the whole system is really slow.  Can anyone help?  In simple language, please, I am not very computer-savvy.

-Sue

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ashWebSv.exe has encountered a problem & more
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have that might have an impact, anti-spyware, firewall, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SJL

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:59:41 PM »
I had CA Internet Security Suite on there, but found it confusing.  I uninstalled it (using add/remove programs).  However, I notice the CA icon is still in the tool tray.  I do not know how to remove it or if this is a part of the problem.

After I uninstalled CA, I downloaded Avast, restarted, then downloaded Microsoft Defender, and restarted.  If memory serves, the red warning box showed up before the Defender download.

Am not on the computer right now, so will attempt repair later, or other suggestions that may come up.

-Sue

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:11:26 PM »
I would also suggest a look at the CA site and see if there is a manual removal instruction page or a removal tool as it would appear that not all of it is gone.

This may be the reason why avast is not working correctly, if avast detects another AV it tends to disable elements to ensure the two don't clash and possibly lock your system. If this is the case a repair may not work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 01:48:22 AM »
Had you exited out of the CA program before uninstalling it? If not, that could be the reason. These steps might work in either case.
1) Disconnect from the web.
2) Uninstall Avast. Restart.
3) Re-install CA. Restart if prompted.
4) Exit whatever their terminology is for "resident protection" (Realtime, guard,...)
5) Uninstall CA.
6) Restart.
7) Install Avast. Reconnect to the internet. Update.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.