Author Topic: Avast Problem with Windows ME  (Read 2493 times)

hruliano37

Avast Problem with Windows ME
« on: August 19, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »
I have downloaded Avast 4 but it did not install...have no icon to start it??  I have no capability to use System Restore and am unable to right click anything....gather I have picked up a virus, but how the heck can I find out??

HELP!!!!!!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Problem with Windows ME
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:33:29 PM »
What Operating System are you using ? is it up to date ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hruliano37

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:03:06 AM »
OK.....I have Windows ME, and I do have AdAware installed.  I have no other virus program installed at the present.  Did have McAfee and had tried to use AVG, but problem with it.  I believe I uninstalled all their files and folders.

Since I used my Recovery Disks a month ago as I thought my computer was crashing.......(I now realize it was probably a virus, but don't know why AVG or Adaware didn't catch it.....) so I am not sure if my system is up to date now.  They don't do updates for ME any longer.

I uninstalled Avast today and reinstalled it.  I now have the capability to run it and it found W32 something infections (4)  It said it removed them, but I am still having the same problem with my computer.  Unable to use right click, can't do a System Restore (not that it would probably help anyway...... :(  I've been to Symantec for help, but there are quite a few things listed with the W32 in the beginning.....

I can use the Internet fine, but I KNOW there is something amuck and it's driving me CRAZY!!!

What Operating System are you using ? is it up to date ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 03:31:01 AM »
Try this McAfee uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe

AdAware in itself isn't a problem what is is the AdWatch, which only comes with the paid version of adaware.

avast doesn't remove them without your having chosen delete as an option, deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

What is the infected file name, where was it found (this may give an idea on any other possible actions) e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

HIJACKTHIS - Program & Tutorial - Also useful as a diagnostic tool - FileHippo Download - HiJackThis - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial 1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hruliano37

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:13:38 AM »
Thanks so much for the info.  I will keep plugging along and do some of the things you suggest.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

Let us know how you get on.