Author Topic: Avast is blocking me from reinstalling a programme  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Intaveon

Avast is blocking me from reinstalling a programme
« on: September 23, 2021, 05:20:41 PM »
Hi there,

Earlier today, Avast quarantined a programme of mine due to suspicion of being infected by idp.ares.generic. After reading up on this online, I discovered this to be a false-positive / a bug which could be resolved by updating my Avast installer (I didn't notice it required updating, which is why I didn't do it). However, to be on the safe side, I accepted the quarantine, used the programme uninstaller to delete the programme, went into the Avast quarantine vault and deleted the file there as well, and tried reinstalling the programme afterwards.

However, reinstalling gives an error related to access to the programme being denied. All files seem to have been downloaded, including the .exe file, but the programme is closed immediately after being oppened (you only see a short command prompt flashing). This, combined with what previously happened as mentioned above, leads me to believe Avast is responsible for this. However, I do not know how to resolve it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Avast is blocking me from reinstalling a programme
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »
If the infection is within temp folder it could be a virus or trojan, so you should clean it or delete it.
And if it is showing warning with exe program, it cloud be false positive, if you believe the program is from a trusted source.

Upload the program to avast team for a final verdict, the link for this: https://www.avast.com/report-malicious-file.php

polonus (volunteer 3rd party cold recon website security analyst and website error-hunter)
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:55:28 PM »
@  Intaveon

The best think would have been to send the file to Avast for analysis from the Virus Chest/Quarantine, but you removed that and uninstalled the program.

Did Avast alert when you tried to install it again ?

Avast shouldn't have just closed the program, but alerted and sent the file to quarantine again  ?
That said, sending a file to quarantine, may cause the installation routine to fail.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Intaveon

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 06:15:15 PM »
If the infection is within temp folder it could be a virus or trojan, so you should clean it or delete it.
And if it is showing warning with exe program, it cloud be false positive, if you believe the program is from a trusted source.

Upload the program to avast team for a final verdict, the link for this: https://www.avast.com/report-malicious-file.php

polonus (volunteer 3rd party cold recon website security analyst and website error-hunter)

Thing is, I've been using the programme for the past week and have had zero issues. Moreover, it is widely used by others as well, and I did not tweak it at all, so I highly doubt there is any issue with it. The main thing isn't wether the programme is trustworthy, but how I can get it to work. Nevertheless, I'll upload the program for review and see whether that results in something

@  Intaveon

The best think would have been to send the file to Avast for analysis from the Virus Chest/Quarantine, but you removed that and uninstalled the program.

Did Avast alert when you tried to install it again ?

Avast shouldn't have just closed the program, but alerted and sent the file to quarantine again  ?
That said, sending a file to quarantine, may cause the installation routine to fail.

Avast did not alert me during the installation again, nor did it when I tried to open the .exe file after the installation failed (seeing as all files have been installed succesfully it seems, it has just denied me access to it). And when I look at the quarantine in Avast, the programme isn't there. And yet, after all files had been installed succesfully, the installer gave an error message ("An error occurred. Unable to open file handle: Os ( code: 5, kind: PermissionsDenied, message: “Access Denied”.)"). It might be that Avast isn't the issue here, but it would make most sense to me. I have decided to ask for help on the forums of the programme as well to see whether they have a fix (also because they might recognise the error message) but I haven't gotten a response so far.

Either way, thanks for the responses. Any other ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 08:55:32 PM »
You're welcome.

It does seem strange though, I would have expected avast to alert as it did in the first instance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security