Author Topic: CCleaner Trojans  (Read 162088 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: CCleaner Trojans
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2007, 09:22:26 PM »
While I'm waiting for the completed version of CCleaner 2.0 to come out before using it, it's interesting that the Beta version has " new installer routines to prevent false positives by anti-virus programs".
Did you install the beta? Test it?
Is it stable? Can we 'upgrade' from version 1 to 2 Beta?
The best things in life are free.

GrahamE

« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »
No, I haven't, I'm waiting for the completed version. With all my past problems with CCleaner, I thought this was wise!!  ;D

GrahamE

« Reply #227 on: September 01, 2007, 01:51:33 AM »
Changed my mind and installed it anyway, Christ, you only live once...

Seems ok. I use ZA Free firewall, and the old CCleaner couldn't remove the ZA log files except after a restart for some reason, and so I always had a certain number of bytes 'to be removed', but the 'bytes removed' would be '0' after a couple of runs, which told me that the only things not removed were the ZA logs.

With version 2.0 however, I can never get to '0 bytes removed'. No matter how many times I run the cleaner, it shows '201 bytes removed' (made up of 134 bytes from 'IE Temporary Internet Files', and 67 bytes from 'Doc & Settings\.......\History.IE5\desktop.ini'.

Whether this is a fault with the Beta, or something that the earlier versions should have been doing, I have no idea, although I'm sure people on here with more computer knowledge than myself will know!   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2007, 03:32:06 AM »
Changed my mind and installed it anyway, Christ, you only live once...
I'm testing it too. Today we have an update of it.
CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) (Beta) 2.00.495 RC: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/CCleaner_Crap_Cleaner_Beta/1100194579/2
The best things in life are free.

GrahamE

« Reply #229 on: September 01, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »
I'm testing it too. Today we have an update of it.

This latest update has removed the problem I described in my last post. I'm now just left with the ZA log files 'to be removed', with '0 bytes removed' after a couple of runs.

From the 'change log' (http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/changelog/) details ('scan now filters out desktop.ini files'), it's almost as if they're reading my posts and acting on them! Just in case they are, I really do feel that a cash reward should be given to everyone who uses CCleaner.....