Author Topic: Time for a Change  (Read 10266 times)

mouniernetwork

Time for a Change
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:04:44 AM »
Avast is getting more popular everyday, that is happening because for a long time Avast has being a "small" AV company who had a  good number of supporters and believers. However we are in the 21st century and in the 21st century people (custumers) expect great products but are very impatient. The core problem here is Adjustement, thats what the 21st century company have to go through everyday. Avast needs to learn and find a way to change something fast when it is necessary. It's time for a Change.

Also Avast is still in the "smal" AV Company mode  where it still relies mainly on its beloved users to do the advertising. While counting on its supporters is good it should only be a portion of the effort it is making to become more popular. What Avast has to do is get in to the  "Leading" AV Company mode, this is what all the once small compnies are doing: NOD32,AVG,Avira,etc... People in the 21st century follow the leader, they juge on looks and information. The sucess of an AV Company does not solely rely on the Antivirus itself but also by the way that it is presented to the public. The AV compny that does it best I think is Symantec, they know how to do business but not so much on how to do an AV. I believe that if Avast can make this adjustement into their principles and Budget they have a great potential of becoming part of the Leading AV's.

Please express your oppinion

Al968
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:27:34 AM by al968 »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Time for a Change
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 01:34:59 PM »
When those "big" companies advertise, they can literally wrap up some shit in a good package and yell about it everywhere and non-stop... that's exactly what's happening with Norton. I personally never trust those commercials no matter how sweet looking they are. I want to double/triple check everything before I decide this is good for me or my system. I don't care if Alwil will ever be as big as Symantec, as long as they provide us with good products.

Although sometimes it makes me sick to see all those people coming out of computer stores, buying branded computers and scream ing in excitement: "...mom, mom !!! I also got a Norton Antivirus installed !!! Yeepee !!!"

But no one is telling them at the store that it's just a trial version and after that 30-day trial period, they are on their own... even if they got full registered version with whole life license for Norton, I still don't believe they would be in position to happily yell about it... and who's guilty ? No one and everyone... maybe these "small" companies that does not much to explain to the public that there IS something else out there to chose from, besides Norton.  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 02:16:13 PM »
Symantec has a big ad business. More than 90% of the employees are on sales/marketing.
Grisoft has spread itself on sales all over the world.
We can listen about them... but we're not happy using them. It's not time to talk about pros and cons of the AV but, for sure it's not a time for a change in my antivirus. Could be, as you've said, a time for Alwil to increase marketing share, a time for Alwil to improve detection/submition of samples method, a time for Alwil to improve the product and do not wait for version 5 all the time...
Small? Big? It's mine 8)
The best things in life are free.

news

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »
Not looking for a big company...just a good company.
Don't have to do a lot of advertising to get my attention.

The ones that yell the loudest aren't always the best.
Been there...done that as they always said.

Just want avast! to keep on doing what it's doing...protecting my pc. Sure..improvement is a way of life in all things. avast! hears everyone...see's more than you think. They'll get to where they need to be and do what's necessary..they're in business...their time is coming.

The product is only as good as the person using it. I'm pretty good at what I do...this I know.  ;)

louis_zuo

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 03:53:38 PM »
i agree with the opinion that not a big company but a good company, that is all of us want. love avast, oh, but it is not so good when dealing with the auto.run virus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:09:39 PM »
I would rather they spent their money on making the avast product better, staffing, etc. than on advertising. Word of mouth advertising is proven to be the best most cost effective form of advertising.

When you look at the slick TV adverts for AOHell for instance and their swamping the planet in free AOHell CDs those who don't know better will see something shiny and perhaps pick it up, That kind of advertising costs huge sums of money.

Alwil aren't going to become rich of the back of free home users but its corporate business and they don't just pick up something because it is a shiny looking article.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 12:17:31 AM »
excelent products and service spreads today Your goodwill easier ...

people tell others on forums, blogs, newsites, in amateur done reviews etc..

for example one good slashdotting may be more effective than wasting 1mil on TV ads ...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:20:32 AM by Dwarden »
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

fluffyscruffy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:33:14 PM »

The AV compny that does it best I think is Symantec, they know how to do business...

In the UK the vast majority of PCs sold already have Norton installed or it's sat there in a little trial bundle just waiting to be clicked. This alone gives many new PC buyers the impression that Norton is the only or best AV available. I personally don't agree with Symantec's method of flooding the market in order to force consumers to buy their product, it might be making them a lot of money but it's creating a growing number of disappointed and disillusioned people that are left not knowing where else to look to for support.

ALWIL might be a small company, but this shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. The customer service support offered surpasses any I've encountered and I'm including companies I know of that say they pride themselves on customer service in this comparison.
I agree with DavidR in saying that it's better that ALWIL put most of their resources into continuing to make the best AV available and having such a supportive team of staff.

I've noticed there's already a banner section on the main site, perhaps more avast! users can be persuaded to add an avast! banner to their blog or website if they're really impressed with the product.

I would like ALWIL and avast! to grow, I would just hate for them to end up like Symantec, who either offer web based help that's only compatible with the latest iExplorer browser (alienating Mac users) or the premium rate customer service line and if you're problem is anything more that "how do I install/uninstall Norton?" you get charged a consultation fee  >:(

In my opinion approachable companies = customer loyalty.

*:3

Kilia

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 08:38:42 PM »
Amen, fluffy!!  :)

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 06:56:38 AM »

I'll second that Amen!