Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe acting as server?  (Read 3490 times)

WaltA

ashWebSv.exe acting as server?
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:47:22 AM »

Hi,

I installed Avast 4.7 home last week along with Comodo Firewall and when         

I was approving the different programs to allow over the net, I noticed that

ashWebSv.exe asked to be allowed to act as a server. I was wondering why.

The reason I ask is that I see ip addresses that lead to various websites

that sell products that relate to server operations. Unfortunately some of them

are uploading large quantity's of information off of my computer. One of them

is Cachenetworks.com which sell a program known as CacheFly. I think it,s

some sort of quick download program like Bittorrent. This site uploaded over

47,000 kb's of info from my computer and I don't like it. So can Avast work

without it acting as a server? If it can I would just as soon prefer that it didn't,

as I don't know what type of information is being taken or what it is being used

for.

I am a stand alone private personnel non business home computer, hooked to

the web through a dsl modem and working behind an nat.

I am running XPSP2 (all updates) I mainly use Firefox, but IE6 is primary

Browser.

I like Avast so far.It scans quicker than all of my other security programs.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: ashWebSv.exe acting as server?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:15:35 AM »
HI
I don't use comodo, but when I set up sygate the instructions basicaly said no programs needed server rights. Having said that, there are exceptions like limewire, shareza, etc.. Webshield (ashwebsv.exe) has been working fine.

HTH

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 03:57:23 PM »
ashWebSv.exe is the avast web shield and it is just a dumb proxy that filters http port 80 content. It doesn't initiate the connection just redirects port 80 traffic through the web shield proxy port 12080, so there is something on your system that is initiating these connections.

You can test it without server rights and see if it works or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
ashWebSv.exe asked to be allowed to act as a server. I was wondering why.
WebShield acts like a local proxy and, maybe, Comodo is reacting to this.
Internet > WebShield > Browser. This is how the http traffic flows. Seems ok.
On contrary, WebShield does not scan outbound connections.
The best things in life are free.

Glass

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »
I have Comodo + Avast Home and no, it does not ask for server permissions!

Something spooky there.

WaltA

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:20:38 AM »

Thank you  all for your replies. I'll try to and see if I can cancel the permission

and see if it stops.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 05:46:51 AM »
I have Comodo + Avast Home and no, it does not ask for server permissions!
Local proxy... it works this way, it asks for this kind of permition.
'Server' rights is common in ZoneAlarm usage, in Comodo the permition will be asked by inbound TCP/UDP connection.
The best things in life are free.

tekkaman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »
It does ask. But only once.  You have to allow access.