Author Topic: Cannot download updates  (Read 6188 times)

noadware

Cannot download updates
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:35:35 PM »
Hi,

Is there another way do download updates? My Internet connection gets disconnected every couple minutes.

I cannot complete download of updates - it says ...reconnecting... and then my internet disconnects again and again till updates are never installed.

My ISP told me they tried to fix it a bit - but not fully fix it.

Any idea please?

Thanks,
Karl

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot download updates
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:03:15 PM »
I would certainly be looking at a new ISP if you can't stay on line for more than a few minutes.

What type of connection do you have dial-up or broadband ?
You could ask a friend to download a full VPS Update for you. avast! VPS Update - Manual Download - For off-line systems you can, save the file to a CD or USB drive and transfer it to the off-line system and run it to update the VPS signatures file.

Though that doesn't resolve your problem, what update is it that you are trying to do as the virus signatures are incremental and should take a few seconds, so I don't know what is going on in your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:16:52 AM »
My Internet connection gets disconnected every couple minutes.
Who's fault here? Your ISP or your computer?

I cannot complete download of updates
Last option is use a download manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) and download the off-line update (http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd.exe).
The best things in life are free.

noadware

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 02:28:35 PM »
Hi,

My ISP is the problem not my computer.

Ok, so I am using download manger as one suggested. So if there is a new updates do I just download again from same link?

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd.exe

Thanks a lot,
Karl

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 03:17:44 PM »
My concern is why you can't just do the auto or manual update for the VPS signatures as they shouldn't take minutes, even on dial-up, but seconds to update. You didn't answer what connection method you have.

Once you have the complete VPS file, installed then any future updates should be incremental only downloading the latest signatures that have been added. Typically this is a download of around 25-50KB often less today's update was I think 15KB.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 03:22:08 PM »
So if there is a new updates do I just download again from same link?
Yes. It will update your virus database to the latest one every time (no problem if you 'miss' an update, it will correct everything).
Programs updates will require that you download the entire setup file.

Of course, David's questions remain... you're choosing not the best method to update, for sure.
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 05:18:01 PM »

noadware -

Are you in the USA? If so, update downloads should take less than one minutes even on dial-up. I know because I am in the USA, on dial-up, and my updates rarely take a whole minute to download. Who is your ISP?

noadware

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »
Thanks, now everything is fine. ISP is back perfect.

Karl

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 02:06:29 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm glad that you are now back to an acceptable service.
Wow did it take your ISP a long time to resolve the problem

I doubt I would have had your patience and would now be with a different ISP.