Author Topic: WON'T DELETE VIRUSES  (Read 5826 times)

johnnyjohnson

WON'T DELETE VIRUSES
« on: August 24, 2007, 03:40:28 PM »
I've been dealing with this for more than a week. I run the full Avast scan, it locates my viruses but then when it comes to the "action" screem after the scan is over, it won't let me take any action. The files are locked, or something. I have tried going in through the program files to locate the files, deleted them there but nothing happened. I think there were launched again. I never saw them in the recycle bin. The files are coming from that darn Win AntiSpyware, vundo, There are about 21 files that Avast recognizes but can't seem to do anything about. I would appreciate any help. I am almost at my wits ends and ready to just delete the whole hard drive. any help would be appreciated, thanks.  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: WON'T DELETE VIRUSES
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 05:01:17 PM »
What version of avast are you using ?
The forum you have posted in related to the avast 4 Server Edition and I get the feeling you are using avast 4 Home/Pro. If so hopefully one of the moderators will move it to the correct forum.

What Operating System are you using ?
If you have XP or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...' Or see http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

johnnyjohnson

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:10:06 PM »
thanks I will try that I have Avast 4.7, it's the free version for home use, I thought this was the correct forum.(?)
I am using Windows XP, home version. will see if I can get it to work, thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:03:07 PM »
OK, hopefully one of the moderators will move it to the avast 4 Home/Pro forum, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0.

It depends on why avast couldn't 'delete' most commonly a file is in use or protected, in which case a boot-time scan before windows starts should be able to deal with that.

However, deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 03:37:21 AM »
David is right. Other reason for not being able to deal with an infected file is because it's inside of an archive (.cab, .zip, etc.).
I've already asked for a possibility of handling all the archive file when this occur (other antivirus have this option).
The best things in life are free.