Author Topic: How to turn on Websheild  (Read 4693 times)

The D

How to turn on Websheild
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:14:59 AM »
I installed ZoneAlarm Pro 15 day trail when my avast! home 4.7 poped up saying an incompatablity with its websheild. So I turned it off, unistalled ZoneAlarm, and now how can I turn on websheild again?   :o

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to turn on Websheild
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:19:48 AM »
You should simply have answered YES to the compatibility question.

http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off web shield transparent mode proxy (Note the avast check should now be able to differentiate between ZA and ZA Pro so you may not see this interface if using ZA free).
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
If you answered incorrectly, Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line (avast will ask again, answer NO) or change the value to =0.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

The D

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:25:40 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 03:44:01 AM »
Thanks!
Does it work? Do you need further help?
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 07:31:01 AM »
I installed ZoneAlarm Pro 15 day trail when my avast! home 4.7 poped up saying an incompatablity with its websheild. So I turned it off, unistalled ZoneAlarm, and now how can I turn on websheild again?   :o

Depending on how you turned it off, it may be just a reboot or using the start button. If you stopped it from the right click menu and said no to the persist change, then you can start it from the same right click menu. It should restart on reboot anyway. If you used terminate from the left click popup,try clicking the start buton. These menues can be accessed by right or left clicking the "a" icon near the clock.

jwall

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 02:20:04 PM »
Can you use Webshield with the Windows firewall in XP with no problems?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Yes you can, but I wouldn't call the XP firewall adequate protection.

Windows XP's firewall is better than no firewall but, it lulls you into a false sense of protection, it doesn't provide outbound protection. I would however, say you need to look at a third party firewall to protect against unauthorised outbound connections.

Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall. Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo, PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php later set of results
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jwall

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:29:30 PM »
OK, thanks for the great response.  I know the windows firewall is better than nothing.  I've just been too lazy to check out the others, especially when trying an AV that I'm comfortable with.  I've settled on avast.  Reading the posts on the forum about the firewalls had me wondering though.

Thanks again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 05:42:29 PM »
Your welcome.