Author Topic: Cannot turn Web Shield on  (Read 14613 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot turn Web Shield on
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »
Yes, the Avast Mobile Security on my Home screen (as I don't have any of the other products installed (so no Avast Group).

This only means that there is one notification displayed, it does not imply that Web Shield is not working.
Please visit this website (in Google Chrome) to test Web Shield: https://web-shield-test.avast.com/

The problem being on opening the App (for the Samsung A12 mobile phone) there are NO notifications and no matter what I do, nothing resolves that.  Interestingly after testing the webshield-test link (and no alert) there is no figure 1 over the avast icon ???

The web Shield certainly doesn't work as the My Statistics shows 0 websites scanned, despite browsing several different sites.  A check on the link you gave opens the page blank.avast.com on my Samsung A12 & A51 Android 11

I have literally spent days on this, I did lots of tests on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (Android 10, which was working) to try replicate the settings and or change some settings to see if I could find one that broke it.  Reset it and try to find a way to apply this in the A12 and A51, I still couldn't get the either to work and worse still I screwed the Tab S4, so much so that I ended up doing a system reinstall.

The upshot of this is Avast users who are in the unfortunate position of using a Samsung phone (pretty damn popular) and Android 11, they are screwed (sorry about the use of technical terms).

Unfortunately the Avast Website has zero information/help for Samsung mobiles on Android 11.

The Samsung Deep Sleep (Avast locked in this area, Allow Background Activity) is a killer and despite the extensive searches I have made (many, many, many hours) I am no closer to a solution.  Possibly worse I have made so many changes and reversions, I haven't a clue where I am. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 01:01:49 PM »
Hi,

Can you please confirm if you tested this link https://web-shield-test.avast.com/ in Chrome? If you test this in Chrome (not any other browser), you will be redirected to blank.avast.com, but you will also receive a pop-up notification/detection.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 07:27:03 PM »
Yes I visited that link and it redirected and displayed the other link I gave.

I don't use Chrome or any Chromium based browsers, only my default browser Firefox for Android.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »

I don't use Chrome or any Chromium based browsers, only my default browser Firefox for Android.

Hi,

Web Shield, unfortunately, does not work with Firefox. For the Web Shield to work, the browser needs to cooperate with accessibility permission and make it possible for us to read the address you are currently browsing. Without this, there is no way to find out which page you are visiting and compare it with our database of malicious pages.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 11:55:32 AM »

Hi,

Web Shield, unfortunately, does not work with Firefox. For the Web Shield to work, the browser needs to cooperate with accessibility permission and make it possible for us to read the address you are currently browsing. Without this, there is no way to find out which page you are visiting and compare it with our database of malicious pages.

Nothing mentioned about that in any App description I have read.  So I have been chasing my backside for days, trying to fix something that can't be fixed, great news.  Living in the belief that Avast Mobile Security was protecting my phone when connecting to the internet  :(

Seems to work on my Android Tablet on Android 10 as the My Statistics on that do show Websites having been scanned and using Firefox on that.

So does it only work on Chrome or are there other browsers that are supported ?
It would be nice if this was made clear what browsers are supported.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
BUMP = So what browsers does the Web Shield get on with  ?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 12:29:01 PM »
Web Shield, unfortunately, does not work with Firefox.
Well that is a relalation and makes AMS worthless IMO.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2021, 04:58:24 PM »

Yes, those cards were held very close to the chest.
This is also why I asked for supported browsers, as I have been trying to avoid Chrome, Chromium based browsers.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 12:03:30 PM »

This is also why I asked for supported browsers, as I have been trying to avoid Chrome, Chromium based browsers.

Hi,

It is currently only supported on Chrome and Opera. Our developers are working on a new solution addressing the current limitations.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 12:32:56 PM »

Hi,

It is currently only supported on Chrome and Opera. Our developers are working on a new solution addressing the current limitations.

Thanks for the response.

However, it would have been nice if this had been made clear what browsers were supported in either Google Play or App information or a Notification Alert when using it with Firefox. Instead of my living on the misapprehension I was fully protected by AMS.

Not to mention saving days and days of trying to make AMS work on my Samsung mobile phones and Android 11 and blaming Samsung and Android 11 for the problem.  Disappointed.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 06:53:33 PM »

Thanks for the response.

However, it would have been nice if this had been made clear what browsers were supported in either Google Play or App information or a Notification Alert when using it with Firefox. Instead of my living on the misapprehension I was fully protected by AMS.

Not to mention saving days and days of trying to make AMS work on my Samsung mobile phones and Android 11 and blaming Samsung and Android 11 for the problem.  Disappointed.

Dissapointed is an understatement.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2022, 09:03:27 PM »
Hi,

It seems that Avast has partially fixed this in AMS 6.46.2-X. If you set up the new scam protection, web shield will scan the web traffic for one browser only (even if it's not Chrome or Opera). I tested my default browser, Firefox, at web-shield-test.avast.com/ and was alerted that malware was found. Thanks, Avast.  :)

Edit: Correction
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 01:29:18 PM by Simion »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2022, 12:12:31 AM »
Hi,

It seems that Avast has partially fixed this in AMS 6.46.2-X. If you set up the new scam protection, web shield will scan the web traffic for your default browser only (even if it's not Chrome or Opera). I tested my default browser, Firefox, at web-shield-test.avast.com/ and was alerted that malware was found. Thanks, Avast.  :)

Just got it and it does appear to work with Firefox, thank god I can ditch chrome that I really don't like using.  Though I'm not sure about your point about for your default browser as I can't recall ever having set a default browser in Android.   

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2022, 10:47:29 AM »
That was the missing information that I needed thank you.
I think you should update the instructions to add the requirement to select Installed Services.
+1
I hope this "instruction" is fixed soon.

I have had that same issue time and again. When you click Settings from the Avast popup there is no direct setting visible for Avast switch. The instruction does not refer at all to "Installed Services".

I guess it is all a waste of time if WebShield does not work on FF browser on android. But is that still true from this:

Just got it and it does appear to work with Firefox, thank god I can ditch chrome that I really don't like using.  Though I'm not sure about your point about for your default browser as I can't recall ever having set a default browser in Android.

It would be good to get a definitive answer from the devs as last reply was Chromium based browsers only.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:57:03 AM by rocksteady »

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2022, 01:39:25 PM »
Hi,

It seems that Avast has partially fixed this in AMS 6.46.2-X. If you set up the new scam protection, web shield will scan the web traffic for your default browser only (even if it's not Chrome or Opera). I tested my default browser, Firefox, at web-shield-test.avast.com/ and was alerted that malware was found. Thanks, Avast.  :)

Hi DavidR,

Sorry, that should be one browser only (edited) since you can only have Avast scan one browser's traffic at a time.

Firefox was likely your default browser. When you clicked on a link in say a text message, which browser did it open in? Of course, if you set up scam protection properly, your default browser is now Avast (acting as a proxy).

Regards,