Author Topic: Specialized definitions for the boot-time scan can't be installed  (Read 1544 times)

Offline _Iceman_

Hi all, there's a problem with specialized definitions for the boot-time scan, I click "install" and after a few seconds it says they are successfully installed. But then if I reopen the same window it says the definitions aren't installed and I need to install them again. Repair didn't help. What could be the problem?

And by the way, what's the difference between specialized definitions for the boot-time scan and virus definitions?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Specialized definitions for the boot-time scan can't be installed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 04:38:21 PM »
Hi all, there's a problem with specialized definitions for the boot-time scan, I click "install" and after a few seconds it says they are successfully installed. But then if I reopen the same window it says the definitions aren't installed and I need to install them again. Repair didn't help. What could be the problem?

And by the way, what's the difference between specialized definitions for the boot-time scan and virus definitions?

Hi,

Can you add a screenshot of the message saying "definitions aren't installed", please?
When you click Install definitions on the Boot-Time Scan screen, Avast Antivirus downloads all virus definitions from a cloud database. If you skip installing specialized definitions, Boot-Time Scan scans your PC based only on the last virus definitions that were downloaded.

Offline _Iceman_

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 06:07:32 PM »

Hi,

Can you add a screenshot of the message saying "definitions aren't installed", please?

I click "Install definitions", a green bar runs forwards and backwards and after a few seconds it says "Specialized boot-time scan definitions installed". But if I click "Back" and then reopen the same boot-time scan window it again says "Install definitions" (screenshot 1).

When you click Install definitions on the Boot-Time Scan screen, Avast Antivirus downloads all virus definitions from a cloud database. If you skip installing specialized definitions, Boot-Time Scan scans your PC based only on the last virus definitions that were downloaded.

So even if virus definitions are up to date (screenshot 2) do I still need to install specialized definitions if I want to run a boot-time scan?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 06:22:23 PM by _Iceman_ »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 02:49:50 PM »
Hi,

Our devs have implemented a fix for this issue and it will be released in the next UI version.