Author Topic: Avast forum back up gratulations Avast team!  (Read 32720 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast forum back up gratulations Avast team!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 06:16:30 PM »
Guys,

I'm also still waiting for a detailed explanation of what actually took place. All I know is that the scum took advantange of a vulnerability in SMF 1.1.12 (that was installed on the server). Kubecj (our web admin) is out of the country but we were able to have him fix the issue yesterday late night. He should be coming home tonight so I hope I (and you, too) will get a satisfactory explanation soon.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

drhayden1

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
curious-why is this still showing this ??? ::) is it just a precaution....
just a few moments ago....
i know it says previously-but for how long will this show for forum.avast.com link ???

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 06:23:31 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 06:25:17 PM »
That's a question for linkscanner's authors, I guess.
Obviously, they're "caching" the outcome of a test for some time...

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

news

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 06:33:02 PM »
Thanks Vlk for the information...I'll be watching.
Thanks to you and your crew for the rescue of the forum. ;D

drhayden1

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 06:35:48 PM »
thanks Vlk...was just curious after the adventure i had with my computer logging into the forum with my 'previously installed' avant ie clone browser and the many trojah horse warnings and abort connections fun time i was getting-so bad my computer would'nt reboot ::) :o
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 06:38:48 PM by drhayden1 »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 07:22:55 PM »
I second this (again)
me too...after it destroyed my laptop with all sorts of goodies-was logging in to forum using ie clone avant browser-no more-firefox all the way
Dan,
The large font I experienced with Opera alerted me that something was wrong.  Then I read DavidR's post about the infection in the forum.  My computer was safe with Opera.  A bit of advice to all: Don't transmit login info to an infected site. ::)  I'm sure you already figured that out, but I say this for newbies.

I switched to Opera as my default browser because of Firefox's memory "leakage" & Opera starts up faster & surfs quicker.  Maybe a rebellion against Firefox will force Mozilla to fix these issues. ;)

Try Opera as default browser. 8)

drhayden1

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 07:38:56 PM »
use only firefox and opera now-after the bug invasion when i was logging in to the forum with the ie clone avant browser ::)
wish we could use two firewalls at the same time-maybe i would try pctools fw plus ;D
searching for a better firewall-are we ;D

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 07:45:55 PM by drhayden1 »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 08:16:58 PM »
use only firefox and opera now-after the bug invasion when i was logging in to the forum with the ie clone avant browser ::)
wish we could use two firewalls at the same time-maybe i would try pctools fw plus ;D
You can use two firewalls: use a wireless modem & use its built-in firewall along with pctfw+. ;D

Lighthouses don't search, they warn of danger! ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:18:37 PM by rdmaloyjr »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »
curious-why is this still showing this ??? ::) is it just a precaution....
just a few moments ago....
i know it says previously-but for how long will this show for forum.avast.com link ???

I don't think it is so strange when you consider they are trying to get you to buy linkscanner pro, so it isn't in there best interest to remove sites from their lists.

<snip>

As for getting/finding a better firewall, I doubt that will do any good what so ever in an attack/exploit like this as the download is considered as being user initiated, so the firewall won't block it. Even though you didn't intentionally download it, but by intentionally visiting a web page which downloads something to your system that you were unaware about your firewall won't react, I guess that is why they call it an exploit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 09:22:26 PM »
You can use two firewalls: use a wireless modem & use its built-in firewall along with pctfw+
i meant two software firewall-duh!...i know you can have a hardware and a software one at the same time :o
Lighthouses don't search, they warn of danger!
they do search if someone is overboard from a boat or such-the light is a forum of search with the extra light ::)

I don't think it is so strange when you consider they are trying to get you to buy linkscanner pro
for what reason i don't understand just from the warning davidr-except for the add-on adversiting on the same page maybe ::) ;D
and no more ie or clones after the other day-just firefox or opera now only ;)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:50:38 PM by drhayden1 »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 03:15:41 AM »
Dan,
i meant two software firewall-duh!...
I know you did, but you didn't say that, you left yourself wide open & I got you! ;D

they do search if someone is overboard from a boat or such-the light is a forum of search with the extra light
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighthouse

I won!  Go lick your wounds! ;D

If someone is overboard, rescuers will use anything to locate & save the person, even a lighthouse, but that is not the purpose of a lighthouse.

Your real name must be Jon cause I get the best of you as easy as Garfield gets Jon. ;D

Go to the SPCA & trade Garfield for another cat. ;D

Try messing with Bob, he's an easier target. ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »
Hi rdmaloy,

Well I can agree with Dan where he is afraid to further use any IE clone in the light of the recent IFrame infestation, I would also. But again I must state that I was lucky to have Browzar 1.0.0.4 on a computer that was not mine, because this IE browser shell cleansed all my browser cache, cookies, flash, javascript etc., I could not log in because of the IFrame exploit, but it did not infect me with the malicious download it re-directed to.
Well I think bob3160 is not such an easy target, he is an old sly fox, and he knows his way around.

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

drhayden1

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
Well I think bob3160 is not such an easy target, he is an old sly fox, and he knows his way around.
didn't start the comments on my friend bob-don't want another forum war ;D ;D
but at least i know he is older than me :)

Your real name must be Jon cause I get the best of you as easy as Garfield gets Jon
no..that's my nephew's first name and don't mess with my family...will have to ask the lighthouse to assist in finding you ;D ;D

and thanks damian...won't use ie or clone unless i have tooooo-and most likely will use the ie view extension in firefox :)

::)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:00:07 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
rdmaloyjr,
Try messing with Bob, he's an easier target.
I suggest that you get your facts straight.
You seem to have a problem with facts. Still waiting for your facts to back up
your claims against Comodo.

Words are cheap. Facts are harder to come by.

My systems and servers remained safe during this attack despite the fact that I was on this forum
when the attack happened.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

drhayden1

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 03:30:58 PM »
I suggest that you get your facts straight.
You seem to have a problem with facts. Still waiting for your facts to back up
your claims against Comodo.

it's this bob    ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:32:30 PM by drhayden1 »