Author Topic: How to do automatic scan with avast for Linux (Ubuntu 7.04)?  (Read 20752 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: How to do automatic scan with avast for Linux (Ubuntu 7.04)?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 01:28:53 PM »
I think they are symbolic links. Checking the properties should show you where the executable actually resides.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 04:12:13 PM »
Sorry I'm not a Linux user, curious though ;D

There are also a number of other icons with this arrow. I just wonder if this is similar to windows icons where they also have an arrow and that indicates that this is just a shortcut to the real program. Right clicking in windows and selecting properties shows the path to the actual program,  I don't know if the same is true of Linux.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

blackdiamond

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 06:41:15 PM »
Sorry I'm not a Linux user, curious though ;D

There are also a number of other icons with this arrow. I just wonder if this is similar to windows icons where they also have an arrow and that indicates that this is just a shortcut to the real program. Right clicking in windows and selecting properties shows the path to the actual program,  I don't know if the same is true of Linux.

i really don't know..I'm really knew of ubuntu..But i think is the same..Now I'll take a look where the executables resides.. I'll give you more details.. bye and thank you very much!

vendion

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 07:02:38 PM »
Yes that is a symbolic link, otherwise known as a soft link.  They work the same as a shortcut file in Windows, so doing as FreewheelinFrank said and checking the properties will show you where the real avast is hiding.

Dublin

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
balckdiamond,
have you register avast as root user?

avast looks for ~/.avast/avastrc file, which is located in user's home directory.
If you try to run avast from the cron as root user, the program looks for /root/.avast/avastrc file. If there isn't the file, the program fails.

Please, try to run avastgui as root first and then reattempt automatic scanning from the cron daemon.

vendion

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 04:23:03 PM »
LOL you beat me to that I was going to suggest that he runs the GUI to see if that will fix his problem... :'(

Dublin

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 07:32:13 PM »
I opened the terminal window

first, I tried to run avast!:
  sudo -H avast /home

NOTE: the scanner started to work after filling the license key

then I altered the contab table:
  sudo crontab -e

and I inserted "30 18 * * * /usr/bin/avast /home > /tmp/scanresaults" line there

I restarted the cron daemon:
  sudo /etc/init.d/cron restart

avast! worked fine then when it was running from the cron

vendion

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 07:45:52 PM »
Its always the simple things that get over looked the most