Author Topic: ALWIL we hope you can get Responsible&Seriously  (Read 15172 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ALWIL we hope you can get Responsible&Seriously
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 11:51:35 PM »
My post was a reaction to the previous David's post, nothing more.
So can you answer my previous questions? Thanks.

And why can't avast restore the 'original' files (repair the installation)?
Can't be the file be protected (like system ones into Chest) for restoration?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 12:01:48 AM »
I'm not sure that I understand... I think I answered this.
avast! can restore the original files (though not from Chest, but from the installation packages - but it shouldn't matter). Internet connection shouldn't be required for this; if it is, it's most likely a setup omission - but the necessary data are all there, on disk.

From my experience, the "Repair" function is not needed; setup checks the files quite often itself, at least on my computer (I often replace some files for development purposes - and it keeps on putting the original ones back, certainly more often than I'd have liked ;D). But yes, I admit I usually have an Internet connection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 04:45:50 AM »
I'm not sure that I understand... I think I answered this.
avast! can restore the original files (though not from Chest, but from the installation packages - but it shouldn't matter). Internet connection shouldn't be required for this; if it is, it's most likely a setup omission - but the necessary data are all there, on disk.

From my experience, the "Repair" function is not needed; setup checks the files quite often itself, at least on my computer (I often replace some files for development purposes - and it keeps on putting the original ones back, certainly more often than I'd have liked ;D). But yes, I admit I usually have an Internet connection.

Thanks Igor. You've answered other things here (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30412.msg251272#msg251272). I did not know there were an 'internal' restoration of avast files and I thought repair option always require an internet connection (and so do I post this way a lot of times in forums, i.e., that repair requires an active connection).

kubecj

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 10:48:14 AM »
Repair needs internet only when the source files are missing for whatever reason.
If you have intact setup info and some of your avast files are modified or deleted, setup should replace them with original versions. It was designed to do so by purpose and to my knowledge it should not need the inet connection.

I'll have this checked and let your know.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:50:25 AM by kubecj »

Forejt

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 12:32:44 PM »
I confirm that Repair function from add/remove programs control panel doesn't require internet connection at all.
If some installed file is missing, it will be extracted from backup in avast4\setup folder.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 02:15:53 PM »
That is very useful if you don't have to connect, though I checked my Setup folder and there is nothing obvious as to what or where the backups are.

I'm assuming it is the largish 3.5 and 1.8 MB av_pro_core-* and av_pro_dll409-* (and smaller) .vpu files that are the integrity check and backup ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Forejt

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 02:21:46 PM »
Yes, all the vpu files are part of compressed program and database backup, including the main setup program setup.ovr and setiface.dll

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »
I confirm that Repair function from add/remove programs control panel doesn't require internet connection at all.
If some installed file is missing, it will be extracted from backup in avast4\setup folder.
Thanks Forejt. Living and learning and I'll change my 'canned' answers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 02:45:41 PM »
Yes, all the vpu files are part of compressed program and database backup, including the main setup program setup.ovr and setiface.dll

Thanks Forejt.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security