Author Topic: a virus dat keeps comin back :( unhandled exception error & other symptoms  (Read 17697 times)

avolonte

Re: a virus dat keeps comin back :( unhandled exception error & other symptoms
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 04:36:42 PM »
Hi all,
I've a similar problem as settnfires, i.e. everytime I close MSN Messenger, there's a pop-up by avast to say that 'dark angel m.e.' virus has been found in my computer. However, when AVG did a scan, they could not find anything. Is the virus a hoax?

Also, it seems that I couldn't download the latest AVG update file. Is this the result of having another anti-virus program (e.g. avast)?

For Microsoft Vista, is it normal to have a lag time whenever you're opening windows etc? Or could be due to the 'dark angel m.e.'?

Please advise me how should I go about dealing with the virus as I believe I'm a computer idiot.  :P Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 08:50:49 PM »
However, when AVG did a scan, they could not find anything. Is the virus a hoax?
Also, it seems that I couldn't download the latest AVG update file. Is this the result of having another anti-virus program (e.g. avast)?
Are you referring to AVG antivirus or AVG antispyware?
Are you running two antivirus at the same time?
The best things in life are free.

avolonte

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 06:28:27 PM »
I'm referring to AVG anti virus. Yep I'm running two antivirus at the same time. Is this Dark Angel M.E virus dangerous?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 12:58:32 AM »
I'm referring to AVG anti virus. Yep I'm running two antivirus at the same time.
The worst thing you can do... both will fight against the viruses at the same time and, probably, you can have HUGE problems like conflicts and you can be even forbitten to boot or logon.
Uninstall one of them as soon as possible.

Is this Dark Angel M.E virus dangerous?
Did you Google?
The best things in life are free.

avolonte

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 05:30:47 PM »
Oops. Okay, noted. I will uninstall one of them asap.
Yup, I did Googled but couldn't find anything relevant.
Thanks btw for your prompt reply! :)

Hmm I believe it might be a false positive...but I couldn't launch adobe when previously I could. Aww shucks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 06:19:43 PM »
I suggest a forums search for dark angel and messenger as I believe there was something about this in the past and if I'm correct there were also corrections to VPS or program to cater for that.

What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 4.7.1043 and 0774-4 (see about avast!) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

avolonte

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
I suggest a forums search for dark angel and messenger as I believe there was something about this in the past and if I'm correct there were also corrections to VPS or program to cater for that.

What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 4.7.1043 and 0774-4 (see about avast!) ?

My version: 4.7.1029 and 0774-5.

Is it out of date?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »
There is a later program update 4.7.1043, so a manual program update is advised.

Did you do a forums search as suggested ?

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently 30 different scanners.
Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. Whichever scanner you use, you can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists (Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and Program Settings, Exclusions) and Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.
Also see False Positives, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

settnfires

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 06:34:38 PM »
i wiped all my drives, internal and external, and dat cleaned it right up of course. i think this virus attaches itself to msn, hence tryin to sign in and avast tellin u its there. i found this virus attached itself to da majority of my .exe files and there was no way to "clean" everything. so i said f- it and did a clean install. i suggest u do da same... THIS VIRUS WIPED ALL DA DATA ON MY HARD DRIVE TWO TIMES IN A ROW. it kept comin back frm my external hard drive. wat a pain in da ass......... i dealt wit it for 6 days straight til i was all cleaned up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I would suggest that you investigate Hard Disk Imaging software (google search), Norton (spit) Ghost or Acronis True Image are two of the more well known ones. Most of them are paid for applications but it is money well spent.

You take regular back-up images (I suggest weekly) of your hard disk partitions and save it to a second hard disk, internal or external or to DVD. If you have a serious problem and that can be more than simply a virus infection, then you restore the last image and you are back to last weeks image of your HDD.

I use Drive Image 7.1, unfortunately that is no longer available having been bought out by Symantec and it has saved my a** on a number of occasions. For me I can be up and running in a little over 15 minutes, a saving of 5days 23hours and 45minutes on your 6day trek.

settnfires

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »
u can restore wit this even afta ur drive has been wiped? (including wateva image program u hav installed)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 08:13:46 PM »
If the backup images aren't on the same drive you can put it on a formatted drive. But there is no need to format the existing partition/drive (depending on what you back-up) is replaced. Most of them will have a bootable CD which is run on your next boot it has the information to run the image recovery console.

You tell it what you want to do, restore a partition/drive or multiple partitions/drives. You select the partition to restore and the location of the image to use for the restore. Once you have selected what to and all is setup you start it off all this happens outside windows and once complete it will reboot if you have said for it do do that.

settnfires

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 05:32:53 AM »
good stuff :) i mean i ve heard of imaging a hard drive, but i neva thought of doin it. mayb i ll look into it now. thx for da tip. much appreciated!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »
Your welcome.

jmcquadesr

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 05:31:46 AM »
ok heres my scenario... i believe i caught a virus. it showed up thru msn messenger (windows live messenger) as dark angel m.e. virus. then afta tryin to fight it thru boot-scan (unhandled exception error), spyware scans, etc, it wiped my drive. this happened TWICE. now i m on my 3rd fresh install and its back again. it keeps showin up afta i install windows live messenger for sum STRANGE REASON... i get da install file from da msn site, so its not like i m usin a dirty file. at least i dont think i am since its not comin from me. i hav an external hard drive but i ve scanned dat numerous times only to find nuthn infected on it. now this 3rd time around of doin a fresh install, i did try to download sum things from da net dat avast said had viruses. but dam, da EXACT same symptoms again??? i evn tried uninstallin avast, then reinstallin it, boot-scannin without updatin it (which workd, but showed a bunch of ACCESS DENIED stuff), then updated it & did a boot-scan again only to run into da unhandled exception error again. seems like dat error only happens wen its updated.

symptoms dat sumtime arise:

1. right click/properties (on screen) doesnt work anymore
2. control panel wont open
3. nuthn i try to open in da run command box runs
4. add/remove programs wont open
5. system restore wont work

seems like anything dat takes administrative privileges wont work :( so then i got desperate and installed anotha antivirus program to see if it would find sumthn dat avast isnt findin. this program wouldnt even open. then i try to uninstall it to prevent further damage (from havin 2 antivirus programs installed) and it wont uninstall! so then i came here & lookd around. i found sumone sayin scan in safe mode, which i m doin right now. da otha antivirus program still wont open even in safe mode, but wen i try to uninstall it, it lets me! so i m thinkin sumthn changed my administrator privileges or sumthn. i m not sure... i believe one of u will tell me to post a hijack this reading or sumthn like dat, which i ve neva done before. avast says its updated to da latest vps database (8-27-07) & program update.

so yea dats da bulk of my story. any ideas? i really hope wateva it is dat wiped my drive twice doesnt do it again. i m tired of reinstallin everything all ova again :(

any help will b greatly appreciated & thx in advance

My friend is dealing wit ha similiar problem... Here is the post..

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30599.0