Author Topic: stuck at "personal settings"  (Read 6266 times)

dano

stuck at "personal settings"
« on: February 29, 2004, 07:46:29 PM »
I just installed Avast on my main PC running Windows XP Home. Before this I was using Norton antivirus, and I had it disenabled (though not uninstalled) when I downloaded Avast. I then executed Avast and rebooted. Then when the computer tried to come up again I get the Windows XP blue screen "loading your personal settings"

It just stays here. Nothing happens, even after many hours. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DanO

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:stuck at "personal settings"
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 07:51:47 PM »
Norton is a nasty software indeed and only disabling it isn't enough. Even if you uninstall it you might have problems.

First get rid of Norton and than install Avast!
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

dano

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 08:36:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

But how can I remove Norton? When I boot up my computer it is stuck at the Windows XP intro Screen "Welcome"  "Loading your personal settings..."

Alt Ctrl Del does not work either. Everything seems frozen and I can't get to any menus, control paneles, etc.?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 08:38:10 PM »
See if you can boot in safe mode. Press F8 right after seeing the bios status screen. If you are able to enter safe mode, remove norton from there.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 09:05:12 PM »
dano,

1. what version of NAV do you have, exactly?
2. when did you download avast? Is it the latest version (4.1.357)?

thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 02:22:10 AM »
See if you can boot in safe mode. Press F8 right after seeing the bios status screen. If you are able to enter safe mode, remove norton from there.

After you do what Artras said, try to use the Control Panel > Install/Uninstall Applications applet to remove Norton Antivirus (NAV) (it's not necessary to remove other applications from the Norton SystemWorks not even LiveUpdate or LiveRegistration). Uninstallation routine by Control Panel is not sufficient enough to remove NAV 2000/2001/2002/2003 (and probably 2004, which I never tested and will not! I have been running Norton's antivirus 4 years and no more!). For some reason that does not remove the program software completely, they recommend the download of a special program (RNAV2003 or this link) and then remove traces of NAV into your registry: for removing the most fastidious at clearing out the vestiges of the software and sparing users' headaches. Download and run the application. If you have already done the first step, choose 'No' to continue.

If you cannot access the Control Panel, maybe you can do it by the setup file (CD from NAV).

Hope this help. Good luck.  8)
The best things in life are free.

Datagg

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 03:44:06 AM »
Yes norton is one nasty son of *****.

I wish more people would understand just how neccessary it is to remove all traces of these programs before they go further.  Hey Vik, maybe a pre scan of the computer by avast before av instals checking the entire computer for these parasites, then when the ok is clear then continue the instal. Theres no doubt in my mind that Norton, Aol, and so many more companies want you punsihed if you leave them..Its like oh well, my comp doesnt work with this new stuff, better go back and reinstal my old program...Its BS and a damn shame that people get duped into these corportate parasites..........
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 03:46:49 AM by Datagg »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 03:49:37 AM »
Yes norton is one nasty son of *****.

I wish more people would understand just how neccessary it is to remove all traces of these programs before they go further.  Hey Vik, maybe a pre scan of the computer by avast before av instals checking the entire computer for these parasites, then when the ok is clear then continue the instal. Theres no doubt in my mind that Norton, Aol, and so many more companies want you punsihed if you leave them..Its like oh well, my comp doesnt work with this new stuff, better go back and reinstal my old program...Its BS and a damn shame that people get duped into these corportate parasites..........

Fully agree with you...
Anyway, I think it won't be easy for Alwil to 'clean' all stuffs.
Vlk knows some troubles and could fix them, particulary at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

:'(

Datagg

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 03:53:50 AM »
Thats true, but we do know where these parasites hide, maybe if they cant be deleted from a exe from initial install PRE avast, but to warn they have been found and to point to there locations before you go furher and instruct the user that they MUST be taken out before this AV can be installed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 03:54:56 AM by Datagg »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 01:59:35 PM »
Thats true, but we do know where these parasites hide, maybe if they cant be deleted from a exe from initial install PRE avast, but to warn they have been found and to point to there locations before you go furher and instruct the user that they MUST be taken out before this AV can be installed.

I agree with you. If somebody could 'know' where is the problem he could, at least, warn the others or, if posible, try to make an 'automatic' correction for it.  ;) That's is cooperation.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 02:11:50 PM »
I performed brutal cleaning with JV16 PowerTools. I searched all files and registry entries that have word "norton" and "symantec" inside. This cleaned everything :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog