Author Topic: Why does Avast interrupt my gaming?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Axeracing

Why does Avast interrupt my gaming?
« on: September 02, 2021, 10:51:23 PM »
So, i'll be playing a game in VR when all of a sudden the headset goes black and disk usage goes to 100%. I bring up task manager and resource monitor to find Avast is scanning and sometimes shows emergency update etc. 45(ish) minutes later it stops and all is well. I have all settings set so it won't interrupt my gaming, but it seems there is something i'm missing maybe. Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Offline Leo3487

Re: Why does Avast interrupt my gaming?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 05:49:04 AM »
Maybe VR is  not detected as full screen mode
Then need add manually VR games to game mode (I forgot how appear in english, maybe Dont disturb?)

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 02:40:55 PM »
So, i'll be playing a game in VR when all of a sudden the headset goes black and disk usage goes to 100%. I bring up task manager and resource monitor to find Avast is scanning and sometimes shows emergency update etc. 45(ish) minutes later it stops and all is well. I have all settings set so it won't interrupt my gaming, but it seems there is something i'm missing maybe. Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Hi,

Could you make sure that your settings are correct for "Do Not Disturb Mode"?
Please see: https://support.avast.com/article/Antivirus-Do-Not-Disturb-FAQ/
https://support.avast.com/article/Use-Antivirus-Do-Not-Disturb/

Offline Axeracing

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 03:19:26 PM »
The settings are all correct. I even have the vr software in the list. However, i see it says the application must be opened in full screen mode for the Do Not Disturb mode to kick in. I run my vr games in (small) windowed mode on the actual monitor for performance reasons, so i guess that's why i'm getting interrupted. Does the vr headset not count as full screen?

Offline Axeracing

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 09:37:09 PM »
It happened again today. Driving along in my car - screen goes black - computer basically freezes. I finally get the task manager to come up and avast is scanning. Is it possible i am getting some kind of attack? This seems to happen 2 or 3 times a week for the last couple months.

Edited to add: I just looked in my scan history and there is no record of this scan. Is that right?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 02:42:36 AM by Axeracing »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »
It happened again today. Driving along in my car - screen goes black - computer basically freezes. I finally get the task manager to come up and avast is scanning. Is it possible i am getting some kind of attack? This seems to happen 2 or 3 times a week for the last couple months.

Edited to add: I just looked in my scan history and there is no record of this scan. Is that right?

Hi,

Did you notice the scan in the task manager or task bar? Are you able to provide us with a screenshot of the scan? Could you also check if you have any "Custom scans" set up (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-PC-virus-scan/)?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »
The settings are all correct. I even have the vr software in the list. However, i see it says the application must be opened in full screen mode for the Do Not Disturb mode to kick in. I run my vr games in (small) windowed mode on the actual monitor for performance reasons, so i guess that's why i'm getting interrupted. Does the vr headset not count as full screen?

Hi,

Do you have the game in the DND list: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Use-Antivirus-Do-Not-Disturb/
Please also try to run the game in Full Screen mode and changing the resolution in-game settings, if possible.

Offline Axeracing

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 03:32:25 PM »
Hi,

I notice the scan in the task manager and resource monitor. I looked at scan history but there is no record of these scans. Sometimes the programs running in task manager say avast emergency update and windows problem reporting but the main avast service program is on top if i sort by disk activity.

I will try to get a screenshot, but the computer is largely unresponsive when this happens. I was able to send 2 recordings towards the end of the scan with the "record a performance problem" function a week or 2 ago.

I do not have any custom scans set up on any schedules. The games are in the DND list as well as the vr software and steam.

Thanks

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 02:53:52 PM »
I do not have any custom scans set up on any schedules. The games are in the DND list as well as the vr software and steam.
Thanks

Hi,

Did you try to run the game in Full Screen mode and changing the resolution in-game settings?

Offline Axeracing

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 03:16:19 PM »
That is not an option unfortunately. What is Avast actually doing, anyway?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 03:37:19 PM »
That is not an option unfortunately. What is Avast actually doing, anyway?

Hi,

Please provide us with a support package. To generate the support file, please see this link.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file
Please also provide us with your VR device make and model and the name of the game.