Author Topic: File Shield - How to Exclude Time Machine Volume Under APFS  (Read 1588 times)

Offline fssbob2

File Shield - How to Exclude Time Machine Volume Under APFS
« on: September 03, 2021, 04:10:00 AM »
I have an application where Avast gives a PUP false positive. I've marked it to be ignored under Applications by file shield. However, file shield still keeps intermittently identifying it on the Time Machine volume when Time Machine runs. Each time it's a different location because of the way backups are structured.

I would like to tell file shield to ignore everything on the Time Machine volume. The Time Machine volume is formatted by APFS, and it appears to me I would need to specify /Volumes/.timemachine. But I can't find any way to do in the Avast interface.

(If it requires hacking a configuration file, that's fine.)

Thanks.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: File Shield - How to Exclude Time Machine Volume Under APFS
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 09:34:21 AM »
Hello,
it should be possible to add the directory to File Shield exceptions.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline fssbob2

Re: File Shield - How to Exclude Time Machine Volume Under APFS
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 06:14:57 AM »
I see. You can't directly select /Volumes/.timemachine/ using the Avast interface (even with hidden files shown). You need to first go there in a Finder window or Terminal, and then paste the path ("Go to Folder") into the Avast file dialog.

A nice future enhancement would be a checkbox for "Exclude Time Machine Volumes". This exists for scans, but not for the File Shield.

Thanks.

Bob Spies