Author Topic: Blocked URL?  (Read 4124 times)

gazer

Blocked URL?
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »
Hi all, two weeks ago I switched from AVG because of some of the good things I had read about Avast on  places like betanews. Couple of questions though

Since I switched any and all domains and sub domains of earthlink.com (including others that belong to earthlink like teleport.com, onemain.com) are blocked and I have tried at least 4 or 5 valid and clean simple html pages that work otherwise. No specific errors that I can see...IE6 shows 'page can not be displayed' and Firefox, SeaMonkey say 'The document contains no data' as soon as I 'stop on access protection' the pages work fine. Web shiled is running at Normal and adding the domain(s) to the Web Shiled's URLs To Exclude makes no difference. Can anybody help please? :)

Second thing is in regards to the scan stopping and asking for confirmation to continue when a virus is found. I have read a few threads including the one that talks about using ashquick under scheduled tasks but I still get the confirmation window, I know its been asked but its not at all possible to have a silent thorough scan except buying the pro? I may have missed something :)

Forgot to add:
XP SP2
Avast Home 4.7
Windows firewall

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:06:53 PM by gazer »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Blocked URL?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 09:15:09 PM »
avast doesn't block it isn't a firewall, it scans and alerts to infection. But, avast doesn't block unless you have added the domain to the Web Shield, URL Blocking section ?

I would suggest you check your HOSTS file to see if there isn't some redirect in there, but it sounds a bit more than HOSTs file blocking.

I would have said check your firewall but the XP excuse for a firewall doesn't have any outbound checking.

What other security based software do you have that might, e.g. anti-spyware, security applications, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gazer

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:25:37 PM »
HOSTS is only 127.0.0.1 localhost, other times I had edited it for redirect purposes but none since avast install. The blocked URL list in the Web Shield is empty. I have ad-aware and spybot only, IMHO software firewalls are overrated, I uninstalled Zone Alarm months ago but thats another story. But I should mention I have a linksys DSL router (WRT54G) but its firewall is not much either (its only 'enabled', never played with ports, blocks, etc on it)
What puzzles me is stopping on access protection makes the pages work, thats why I thought I should ask here :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:27:30 PM by gazer »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 09:39:40 PM »
Well that would normally indicate there is a clash with another application and that is usually a firewall blocking the web shield provider ashWebSv.exe. As removing one element of a clash will resolve the clash.

Now I have no such clash and with web shield enabled I have no problem visiting that site. The other issue is if it were totally a problem with the web shield then it would be all web sites not just this one or its associated domains which are basically redirect pages, onemain.com redirects to  my.earthlink.net as does teleport.com.

So I'm at a loss as to what it might be as the redirect migh be a possible problem (but that worked for me), but then earthlink.com isn't a redirect, it is these inconsistencies that are difficult to explain or suggest a work around.

I don't know if there is somehow some remnants of ZA but any conflict/blocking of web shield would show against all http port 80 web pages ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gazer

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:54:20 PM »
Thanx DavidR, I guess its a clash somewhere, I will continue using it and see what I come across. Reaching earthlink is not crucial to me but its odd if its a domain and not whole port 80 like you said.
My second question is more important in the long run usability but I am not complaining I realize the developers have to make decisions on features, its just my 2 cents on wishing it were possible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:24:42 PM »
You could try adding *earthlink.* to the Exceptions and see if that works, but personally I feel that it would leave a potentially large hole in your security.

You could try reinstalling ZA again and allow ashWebSv.exe and see if that works.
Or you could try a reinstall of avast, uninstall, reboot, install reboot.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 03:53:45 AM »
Second thing is in regards to the scan stopping and asking for confirmation to continue when a virus is found. I have read a few threads including the one that talks about using ashquick under scheduled tasks but I still get the confirmation window, I know its been asked but its not at all possible to have a silent thorough scan except buying the pro? I may have missed something :)
Well, that's the way it is, I am afraid; you may call it a limitation of the Home Edition of avast!. In the Professional Edition, you can configure the task to perform automatic actions (or, don't do anything).
In the Home version, you may check the "Don't show again" checkbox in the Virus warning dialog - but only after the first virus has been found (because you won't see the virus dialog until then).
The best things in life are free.

gazer

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 08:34:56 PM »
You could try adding *earthlink.* to the Exceptions and see if that works, but personally I feel that it would leave a potentially large hole in your security.

You could try reinstalling ZA again and allow ashWebSv.exe and see if that works.
Or you could try a reinstall of avast, uninstall, reboot, install reboot.

Just to follow up and thanx again guys.

Not sure why adding the exception(s) doesn't make a difference. The reinstall the way you had it didn't make a difference either. Haven't tried ZA though, trying not to touch it but may have to, if I do I will post the results :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »
Not sure why adding the exception(s) doesn't make a difference.
Sometimes it depends the path. The exceptions are read as a text string.
C:\Progra~1\Alwil~1\avast4
and
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\avast 4
are different...
The best things in life are free.