Author Topic: Won't let me play a game  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Raining

Won't let me play a game
« on: September 03, 2021, 05:54:19 PM »
Hello,

I had four games installed on my computer of the same series. I installed them all at the same time, I played three of them to completion. When I went to open the fourth, an Avast message pops up. It says Hardened Mode has stopped something, and asks if I want to allow it or not.

I see Hardened Mode is enabled in my settings, but I cannot figure out how to tell if it is set to aggressive or not. If Hardened Mode is overreacting, why did it not detect anything wrong with the other three games of the same set?

I uninstalled the game, and tried to reinstall it, but now I cannot install it because of the same Avast message.

I am afraid to allow it, in case Avast is detecting something hiding in the game files.

If this is okay to allow, why would this only be happening with this one game?

I have Windows 10, and have Avast Free Antivirus, which I update regularly. I updated, and ran a full system scan, and it found nothing.

Thanks.

Offline Raining

Re: Won't let me play a game
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 06:05:44 PM »
Okay guys, something really weird.

I thought it would be a good idea to post the Avast warning word for word, so I went to install the game again.

I was able to install it! What?
So I tried playing it, and I was able to play it!
What changed?

Why did I get warnings last night, and not today, even though I didn't change any settings and didn't allow the thing Avast was wanting to block?

Thanks again.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Won't let me play a game
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
Hi,

Hardened Mode uses information based on reputation services to determine which executable files are safe to open. It might be that the file's reputation was cleared in the meantime. Could you please upload the file to virustotal.com and provide us with the link to the result?