Author Topic: Vista Firewall Control  (Read 44131 times)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Vista Firewall Control
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 05:24:17 AM »
I was under the impression that the vista firewall control just controlled exactly what was there in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong, (wouldn't be the first time I guess, but I'm not afraid to admit it).  I just thought it was a third-party app that controlled more of what was already there.

Kudos for you if you did more research than I.  I didn't read what articles YoKenny posted, quite frankly because I feel lazy tonight.  I might do so later.  So, YoKenny, do the links that you provided help us believe that the vista firewall control provide a different program altogether, or does it control what's already there, included by Vista?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

YoKenny

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I was under the impression that the vista firewall control just controlled exactly what was there in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong, (wouldn't be the first time I guess, but I'm not afraid to admit it).  I just thought it was a third-party app that controlled more of what was already there.

Kudos for you if you did more research than I.  I didn't read what articles YoKenny posted, quite frankly because I feel lazy tonight.  I might do so later.  So, YoKenny, do the links that you provided help us believe that the vista firewall control provide a different program altogether, or does it control what's already there, included by Vista?

I am quite impressed with Vista Firewall Control and I am now a member of their new forum and it has so much to offer that I am only scratching the surface of what it can do.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »

scythe, Vista firewall has its capabilities, but it does not offer a GUI to manage the connections. Also, the outbound control, although possible, it's for advanced users. Maybe M$ is working with caution to not get into another antitrust process, this time from firewall manufacturers.
The best things in life are free.

Bootchee

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 01:20:55 AM »
scythe, Vista firewall has its capabilities, but it does not offer a GUI to manage the connections. Also, the outbound control, although possible, it's for advanced users. Maybe M$ is working with caution to not get into another antitrust process, this time from firewall manufacturers.

Tech,

Maybe I could offer a tad bit more data because I don't agree with your statement that it's for advanced users and
that it does not offer a GUI to manage connections.

Here are a couple positive (precisely intact) user comments that have been publicly posted here and there
on the internet that we should share and consider, since all these users have experience with the program.

====================
Strengths: I love this program. I have the free version. It was simple to set up and very user friendly. Quite literally, it takes care of itself and very easy to manage. It passed the Shields Up test. Need I say more?
Weaknesses: None as of yet.
Overall Evaluation: This program is perfect for those who are not advanced in computer knowledge.
====================
Strengths: This program does what Microsoft didn't. That is it allows full outbound protection, as well as inbound. Microsoft decided to ship Vista, even Ultimate which is what i am running, with the firewall only protecting the inbound traffic, even though the firewall is capable of protecting both directions. Other programs available might be able to do the same thing, but they are cumbersome, and difficult to setup and manage. This program takes care of all that for you.
Weaknesses: None yet.
Overall Evaluation: There is a free version availalbe, so you have nothing to lose by trying it.
====================
Strengths: Simple interface and user friendly program that meets its designed intent.
Weaknesses: Compatibility - None to date.
Overall Evaluation: A very nice and capable program for approving on outbound traffic. The Plus version provides additional and welcome user configurable options for those with more advanced requirements. Well done Sphinx!
====================

I do notice that contrary to your comment about this program being for experienced users, these people suggest the opposite.

I am now getting a fair bit of experience with VisatFirewallControl myself and am actually looking forward to the MORE in-depth control
that the pay version may offer. This free version TRULY IS simple and easy to control.

As far as when you state that this program DOES NOT OFFER a GUI, I can only assure you that I am using it's GUI, I do not at all
even wish to use from the command line such as others may wish to do. I like easy.

Of interest to me is that statement above from one of the user comments where it states that VistaFirewallControl even passes
Shields Up !!!!! That is the kind of meat and potato justification for which I am looking for before I will pay THIRTY BUX for the full version !!!!!!

I guess I am apprehensive as to why the Sphinx Software company don't submit it to Matousic (or elsewhere) for testing.

If anyone has any data to share with that regard I would truly appreciate to read it.

.                  Bootchee.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:39:38 AM by Bootchee »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 01:30:58 AM »
I would lay odds that if the free Vista firewall was one that was comparable with commercial firewalls to the point that it took large amounts of market share the EU if not US anti-trust would be all over them like a rash.

I'm sure there are lots of things that MS would like to do which have to be constrained by these anti-trust/monopoly issues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 01:59:50 AM »
I would lay odds that if the free Vista firewall was one that was comparable with commercial firewalls to the point that it took large amounts of market share the EU if not US anti-trust would be all over them like a rash. 

I'm sure there are lots of things that MS would like to do which have to be constrained by these anti-trust/monopoly issues.
I guess:
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20090517

I am  going to purchase the Plus update by 28th of this month.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 02:29:42 AM »
Yep, MS are still smarting from the EUs last assault on their funds and that was only for a lowly media player.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 01:21:41 AM »
Yep, MS are still smarting from the EUs last assault on their funds and that was only for a lowly media player.
Maybe MS should pull out of the EU market and see what the reaction of the general public would be......
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:29 AM »
Not much, those that already have it wouldn't be buying any more MS products if they can't get the OS they are hardly going to by Office, etc.

I somehow doubt MS would do that as their bank balance would take an almighty hit as the EU must represent a large part of their profit. By comparison the EU would also have a lower piracy percentage than many other areas and that my end up changing for the worse or give people the push they need towards Linux. So should they do it, I believe they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

They may even find that they still get hit with suits from third party software designers that would also be unable to sell their products ;D

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 04:06:09 AM »
I've used this program for a while with no issues so far. It seems to know/indicate if something tries to make an outbound connection so I'm happy. No hassle with third party firewalls.

However form this thread I take it there are issues. So I have a few question if anyone is willing to clear up my Confusion.

1. The program its self is nothing but an interface, not an actual Firewall. Right?

2. If by some freak accident a virus decides to attack this specific program, what can you do? Some of the other firewalls have built in systems to prevent their termination. Does the Vista Firewall Control have the same security.

3. If a program sneaks-in through the firewall, what stops it from sneaking out? (apart from Avast or other AV or AS programs)

That's it so far. ???
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 04:17:04 AM »
I've used this program for a while with no issues so far. It seems to know/indicate if something tries to make an outbound connection so I'm happy. No hassle with third party firewalls.

However form this thread I take it there are issues. So I have a few question if anyone is willing to clear up my Confusion.

1. The program its self is nothing but an interface, not an actual Firewall. Right?

2. If by some freak accident a virus decides to attack this specific program, what can you do? Some of the other firewalls have built in systems to prevent their termination. Does the Vista Firewall Control have the same security.

3. If a program sneaks-in through the firewall, what stops it from sneaking out? (apart from Avast or other AV or AS programs)

That's it so far. ???

1. Right

2.UAC should alert if something tries to shut off the firewall

Vista's outbound control should alert you if something tries to "phone home"
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 04:26:01 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Marc57.

true but I am not worried about the firewall it's self rather than the Vista Firewall Control. Since it's the one that activates Vista's firewall out-bound protection, wouldn't shutting it down but leaving the firewall on allow a Trojan to essentially gain access outside.
I say this because that was the initial problem. We Use this control panel to activate the Out-bound protection. What happens when we take this out of the equation?

Thanks again for the reply.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

YoKenny

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2009, 05:50:33 AM »

That's it so far. ???

1. Right

Wrong.

Read the FAQ
Vista Firewall Control and the Built-in Firewall

Vista Firewall Control is completely based on Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), the security core introduced in Windows Vista and does not install any third party kernel drivers. The Built-in Firewall is based on the same WFP as well. The both products work entirely independently. Vista Firewall Control uses the Built-in Firewall only once, at the first start to grab the initial settings. Due to complete product independence you can switch the Built-in Firewall ON or OFF at your option.   
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »
@YoKenny
thanks for the correction, but it's weird that something so small can do all that. :o

So now, what about the previous question?

true but I am not worried about the firewall it's self rather than the Vista Firewall Control. Since it's the one that activates Vista's firewall out-bound protection, wouldn't shutting it down but leaving the firewall on allow a Trojan to essentially gain access outside.
I say this because that was the initial problem. We Use this control panel to activate the Out-bound protection. What happens when we take this out of the equation?

cheers
Computer Systems:

YoKenny

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »
@YoKenny
thanks for the correction, but it's weird that something so small can do all that. :o
What makes you think that it is small?

The setup.exe is over 2MB.

So now, what about the previous question?

cheers

Go back and read Bootchee's post and read on.

Read their forum:
http://vistafirewallcontrol.freeforums.org