Author Topic: can't connect to the internet after installing Avast  (Read 12858 times)

alforddm

can't connect to the internet after installing Avast
« on: September 02, 2007, 03:42:13 AM »
We have a fairly new HP computer (couple of weeks old).  It runs vista home premium.  It came with Norton internet protection software version 2007.  I had some trouble uninstalling it but finally realized I needed the uninstall utility from Norton then it seemed to uninstall fine.  I installed Avast but can't connect to the internet unless I use the services utility to shut down the web scanner portion of Avast.  Even then I can't download my email.  Would probably have to shut down the email scanner also but didn't check.  I tried using the avast uninstall utility to uninstall and reinstall but no luck.  I did install it the last time by right clicking and selecting run as admin.  I do have a internet filter installed called net mop and of course HP software that came with the computer.  Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks,

Went Back to Norton

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: can't connect to the internet after installing Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:45:01 AM »
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Does Web Mop use a proxy, that you have to set in your browser proxy settings ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alforddm

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 07:24:27 AM »
Ok here is a bit more info.  4 services from Avast are running.  Antivirus, mail scanner, web scanner, and control service.  When the computer first starts and everything is loading I can sign into my web filter (needs internet to check loggin) but after Avast loads I can no longer access the internet unless the web scanner is turned off.  Nothing accesses the internet not even the anti-virus itself.  Its like its turning the internet off.  When it first loads the icon in the system stray shows I have internet access but when I try to access a page it says the web page is found but never loads.  At that point the network icon in the system tray goes to local only access.  When I turn off the web scanner I can access the internet but the icon still says local only access.  I am on a wildblue satellite with a linksys network everywhere router.  It is probably not related but recently Norton's live update stopped working on both computers so I've been doing manual updates.     

Thanks

Forgot to add that net mop does not require a proxy
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 07:27:25 AM by alforddm »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:36:39 AM »
Do you also have norton installed. If so, you have a conflict between the two avs. You will have to uninstall one or the other.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 02:02:09 PM »
I don't know how netmop could 'filter' anything without the use of a local or internet proxy, which acts as an intermediary between the Internet and your Browser in much the same way as the web shield.

4) How does the filtering work?
In short, the Netmop software installs on your computer, which monitors all website requests on your computer, and checks each one with our filtering servers to see if the website is on our list of blocked sites. If the site is on our list, your website request is denied. If the site is not on our list, your request is allowed to be sent out to the Internet for normal processing.

Unfortunately, their short answer about how it filters doesn't provide any detail on how it achieves this, to monitor all requests it must intercept and to do this it really has to have some sort of proxy. So I can't offer any suggestion when I don't know how it works, sorry I'm in the dark.

9) Will users be able to play multi-player games or use ICQ?
Yes. Internet connections that do not use a browser, such as multi-player games or ICQ, are not routed through our servers. This means you may have safe web access and still enjoy other online activities.

The bits I highlighted are relevant as it implies requests are routed through their servers.

You didn't answer the questions about firewall and permissions ?

What browser are you using ?
Check its connection settings and see if there is a proxy set, if IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Settings button.

@ Oldman
alforddm removed Norton and supposedly used the removal tool, but the live update may still be left behind.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 02:06:26 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alforddm

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »
Yep I used the norton removal tool and it is no longer listed in the program list. This morning I noticed there is something still in services from norton called Symantec core LC (but it isn't started) and there are some norton registry entries still there.

I am currently just using the wildows fire wall and have given avast permisions.   

I'm using IE 7.0.  I payed better attention to the order things load in the system tray this morning and it seems it is something loading after both Avast and Netmop because there is a short period of time I can access the internet before it shuts down after both these are loaded and I've logged into netmop.  Is there anyway to look at what services are loading one at a time so that I can isolate what might be causing this?

I turned the web shield off so I could talk to you guys and then tried to turn it back on to check to see of a program would get through (world of warcraft) now web shield says "waiting for a subsystem to start".

Also, what exacly does the web Shield do and is it hurting to leave it off?

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 04:41:01 PM »
You use netmop to filter content the web shield filters http traffic for infection and if found traps it before it gets on your system. So it is a very valuable tool as prevention is better than cure, as it is harder to deal with a virus on your system.

I don't know if this is what you used to ensure Norton was gone, a removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

HIJACKTHIS - Program & Tutorial - Also useful as a diagnostic tool - FileHippo Download - HiJackThis - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial 1

Post the contents of the HJT log file here it may take more than one post if the log file is large.

alforddm

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
The norton program you posted is the one I used. 

Here is the stuff from hijack this

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:52:37 AM, on 9/2/2007
Platform: Windows Vista  (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\On-Screen OSD Indicator\OSD.exe
C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\S4F\Filter7.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.wildblue.net
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.wildblue.net
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = www.google.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KbdStub.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OsdMaestro] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\On-Screen OSD Indicator\OSD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SnapfishMediaDetector] C:\Program Files\Snapfish Media Detector\SnapfishMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] c:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S4F] "C:\Program Files\S4F\Filter7.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPAdvisor] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Zinio DLM] C:\Program Files\Zinio\ZinioReader.exe /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Snapfish Media Detector.lnk = C:\Program Files\Snapfish Media Detector\SnapfishMediaDetector.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - (no file)
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {80AEEC0E-A2BE-4B8D-985F-350FE869DC40} (HPDDClientExec Class) - http://h30155.www3.hp.com/ediags/dd/install/HPDriverDiagnosticsVista.cab
O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - https://h17000.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Secure/HPGetDownloadManager.ocx
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 6470 bytes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 06:04:28 PM »
I can't see anything obvious in the log file.

Though some would consider this adware/spyware.
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe
See http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/launcher/.

You can fix this.
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - (no file)

This would suggest that there are remnants of Symantec on your system (you should probably fix this so that it doesn't run).
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

See http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/symlcsvc/
symlcsvc.exe is an application which belongs to Norton's Internet Security Suite, and provides additional security features.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »
You do have an internet filter programme on your system - is it set up correctly ?

http://www.centipedenetworks.com/  you have filterpack

alforddm

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 07:40:36 PM »
It is the filter that is causing the problems.  I uninstalled it to check and poof everything is magically fixed.  I contacted Netmop and let them know the problem and they said they would have the tech support people look at it when they get in Tuesday.  I really hope they can get it fixed because until know I've been happy with the filter. 

The netmop filter actually looks exactly like the centipedenetworks filter posted below.  The only difference is the name on the loggin screen.  I wonder if one is more up to date then the other?

Thanks again

alforddm

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »
From the http://www.centipedenetworks.com/  site

Avast Suite only on Windows Vista. These two softwares do not work together and there is no current workaround.

Bleh now what?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 08:23:24 PM »
If they told us how the netmop worked, and because of what they say (in the FAQs I posted) about requests going through their servers, a redirect/proxy of some sort must be at work.

If they would give some more detail then perhaps we could see how the two might live together.

There are any number of products that use proxies and we have been able to co-ordinate them with avast, but they seem to be very reluctant to part with this information.

Rather than ask them about a work around, ask them if netmop uses a proxy and if so what is it ?

There are other parental control applications some free like, Naomi Parental Control software (freeware) http://www.radiance.m6.net/, that don't have any problem with avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »
Avast Suite only on Windows Vista. These two softwares do not work together and there is no current workaround.
avast is not a suite...
avast is not 'only' compatible with Vista...
Am I missing anything here?

There are other parental control applications some free like, Naomi Parental Control software (freeware) http://www.radiance.m6.net/, that don't have any problem with avast.
Besides David's suggestion, I do recommend www.k9webprotection.com not only for kids 8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 10:18:51 PM »
avast is not a suite...
avast is not 'only' compatible with Vista...
Am I missing anything here?
I think what you quoted is the response from netmop, who I doubt have a clue what avast is.