Author Topic: anti-spyware combo..  (Read 19586 times)

black_moon

anti-spyware combo..
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:31:52 AM »
right now im using AVG-AS and super anti-spyware as on-demand scanner. what else should i add to my arsenal? how many anti-spyware should you have and what's a good combination to stay malware/spyware free? thanks.. 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: anti-spyware combo..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:37:39 PM »
That should be fine in conjunction with avast, you can get too much of a good thing. Remember for all the on-demand A-S scanners you have you need to keep the signatures up to date and run them regularly.

Some would say that you should have a resident anti-spyware (I haven't got one, but I have compensated for that) and neither of those are so the only reasonable free resident anti-spyware I'm aware of is SpywareTerminator.

If you installed a resident A-S then I would say you could get rid of one of the others.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:14:54 PM »
The best things in life are free.

black_moon

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »
thanks guys. i think two scanners is fine with me along w/avast. but a friend suggested me to add another scanner as the chances of missed spyware is great. also i might add a good real time protection that is light on resources.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:42:40 AM »
also i might add a good real time protection that is light on resources.  :)
Starter Edition from Spyware Doctor (Google Pack) could do it 8)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:56:13 AM »
also i might add a good real time protection that is light on resources.  :)
From my experience Spyware Terminator is the lightest on resources of the free real-time anti-spyware programs & the best.  I suggest turning off scheduled scans & just use ST for its real-time protection.  Use AVG AS & SAS for on-demand scanning. That is my game plan.

I don't recommend ClamAV in ST, I recommend NOD32 Online scanner for a second opinion with avast!.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 05:16:39 AM »
From my experience Spyware Terminator is the lightest on resources of the free real-time anti-spyware programs & the best.
I'd like it too. Only that Crawler toolbar has 'messed' with ST installation and WebGuard.
I know you don't have to install the toolbar, but the user could like ST and hate the toolbar.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 05:32:01 AM »
I haven't tried Crawler toolbar or WebGuard.  I don't like toolbars.  I don't want or need WebGuard.  Opera's fraud protection does it for me.

the Tester

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 05:48:15 AM »
The three free on-demand a/s scanners that I like lately are SUPERAntiSpyware,A-Squared,and AVG-AntiSpyware.
Currently I use the first two.I update weekly and also scan weekly.

For real-time, Comodo BOClean is free or Spyware Terminator.
Another free option that isn't totally real-time is WinPatrol.The free version can be set to patrol some areas every x minutes.I bought the Plus version and really like it.
And then there is Windows Defender which has a weak scanner.The real-time component gets some praise on the internet.(Spyware Terminator's scanner isn't known to be strong either).
You could choose one of the free real-time programs and supplement it with a free scanner.

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 07:37:37 AM »

I haven't tried Crawler toolbar or WebGuard.  I don't like toolbars.  I don't want or need WebGuard.  Opera's fraud protection does it for me.

I have not used that toolbar neither ... nor the WebGuard. They might be good products ... but it's just that I have no need for them. ST is a very good resident anti-spyware that is free.

roro

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »
What about Spyware Blaster?  Isn't it a resident antispyware scanner?  How good is it?
I use that and Windows Defender, should I install Spyware Terminator too?
I do update and scan with AVG-AS once a week.
I was just reading Tech's link.  Some members list Spyware Blaster as an immunizer.  I realize that it immunizes me against known spyware (as long as I update my database regularly) but what is the difference between that and what a resident antispyware scanner does?

Ro Ro ???
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:48:25 AM by roro »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 03:38:06 PM »
SpywareBlaster isn't resident, nor is it on-demand, it is a passive, immunisation tool in that it adds to your browsers blocked addresses/restricted sites list.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 04:22:02 PM »
What about Spyware Blaster?  Isn't it a resident antispyware scanner?  How good is it?
Spyware Blaster review (From 2004 v3.1)

I use that and Windows Defender, should I install Spyware Terminator too?
When I used Windows Defender, Avg AS & SAS would find some infections.  Switching to Spyware Terminator, AVG AS & SAS don't find any infections.  Obviously ST does a better job than WD.  I found ST uses less resouces than WD.

You can use both ST & WD, but that results in more system resource use & possible conflicts, although I never experienced any conflicts when I ran both.  I only use ST now.

If you decide to use ST,  I suggest turning off scheduled scans & just use ST for its real-time protection.  Use AVG AS & SAS for on-demand scanning. That is my game plan.

I don't recommend ClamAV in ST, I recommend NOD32 Online scanner for a second opinion with avast!.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 05:56:43 PM »
I prefer ClamWin AV since it's a simple right click away for any file.   NOD32 Online Scanner like any other of the free
online scanners isn't as handy but,  could always be used provided you can get on-line. IMHO
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

CharleyO

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 06:52:16 PM »

If I am not mistaken, WinClamAV in ST can be used as either resident (not recomended with avast or any other av installed) or as an on-demand scanner. I had this installed in the last version of ST but have not yet installed it in the current version 2 which I just installed.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.