Author Topic: Avast (Home) stopped working after update [ZA-related, solved]  (Read 2456 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alex98uk

  • Guest
Avast (Home) stopped working after update [ZA-related, solved]
« on: September 10, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »
Last night i got the green popup that told me that there was an Avast program update available. So i told it to update, however it got to the point where it said "downloading servers.def.vpu" (or something along those lines). At this point it just stopped working and crashed.

I closed the process, rebooted and attempted to update it again, same thing. So  I uninstalled, cleaner any left over registry entries using CCleaner and manually deleted any left over files in "program files -> Alwil Software" and then downloaded the latest version off the interweb.

I installed the new version, and it all appears fine until i try and receive my mail on Thunderbird or browse the net of Firefox. Thunderbird simply said "cannot connect to POP3 account" and Firefox just loaded blank pages. After looking around Avast i found that the following settings were causing the problems:

This is what the settings looked like after installation (although the net or mail wouldn't work)

Web Scanner:

Email Scanner:


The only way i can get the Internet or mail to work on my system is to either disable the component or remove the ports in those boxes.

Avast says it also cannot update:


The strange thing is that my other computer running the same version of Avast updated fine and the Internet and mail runs fine with those ports in the settings, seems it's just this computer.... :mad:

My firewall (zonealarm) is set to allow any Avast program complete access to the Internet, and  i don't believe my router is at fault as the computer updates and operates fine.

Any ideas, i'm now desperate...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:43:03 PM by Vlk »

Offline DavidR

  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • *****
  • Posts: 86508
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast (Home) stopped working after update
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 03:18:33 PM »
Delete the entries for avast processes in ZA that will force ZA to ask permission again, see below.

ZA has in the past suffered some form of amnesia in relation to program permissions and blocked access even when the indication shows they are allowed.

Connect to the internet, browse try to check your email and ZA should ask permission, do a manual update, that should force ZA to ask permission for avast.setup.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 22.2.6003 (build 22.2.7013.717) UI 1.0.697/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alex98uk

  • Guest
Re: Avast (Home) stopped working after update
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »
I deleted the Avast entries, but problem still persisted.

However, after a full Zonealarm reinstall, all is fine again. Thanks for the help!

Offline DavidR

  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • *****
  • Posts: 86508
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast (Home) stopped working after update
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 04:50:52 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 22.2.6003 (build 22.2.7013.717) UI 1.0.697/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security