Author Topic: Why off-topic is important to a security forum?  (Read 10788 times)

rdmaloyjr

Why off-topic is important to a security forum?
« on: September 04, 2007, 03:08:43 AM »
1) It keeps the forums active so there will be someone online to help those in need.  It is boring to just be technical! ::)  Human beings need a little fun.

2) It will keep off-topic out of important threads.

3) It keeps old folks like Bob off the streets & out of trouble. ;D

4)

5)

6)

7)

8 )

9)

10)

Guys & Gals fill in 4-10.  If anyone is interested enough we can go up to 100 or higher!!!  1,000,000 ???

Bob, you can change #3 if you want. ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 02:32:34 AM by rdmaloyjr »

CharleyO

Re: Why off-topic is important to a security forum?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:42:00 AM »

1) It keeps the forums active so there will be someone online to help those in need.  It is boring to just be technical! ::)  Human beings need a little fun.  It might be enough for DavidR & Tech to have no life except to fix computer software problems.  :(

3) It keeps old folks like Bob3160 off the streets & out of trouble. ;D

4) It promotes comraderie(sp) between regular users as well as with new users & therefore strengthens the forum and all it's users.

5)

6)

7)

8 )

9)

10)

Guys & Gals fill in 4-10.  If anyone is interested enough we can go up to 100 or higher!!!  1,000,000 ???

Number 4 is my contribution.    :)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:38:28 AM by CharleyO »

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:26:08 AM »
Agree with CharleyO for 4 can't add much to that....well said     :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:35:56 AM »
It might be enough for DavidR & Tech to have no life except to fix computer software problems.  :(
It's a pity that you think on me like this...
Remember that I was the Off Topic Moderator...
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 04:44:34 AM »

It might be enough for DavidR & Tech to have no life except to fix computer software problems.  :(
It's a pity that you think on me like this...
Remember that I was the Off Topic Moderator...

Since he wrote it as "might be enough", I do not think he meant that was all there was in your life. But, since you & David are here often and give probably more than half the help on the forum these days, I think it was intended this way. At least, I hope that is what was meant.

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 04:49:49 AM »
99% of help forum have an 'off topic' where people get to know each other and can have a little fun, make friends etc.....it's a healthy thing in my opinion........ :)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 04:57:29 AM »
I was just trying to build a fire under David & Tech that they would let ALWIL know how valuable their time was.  They are two of the most important people here, they deserve an off-topic forum.  They give great help & don't get paid for it.  I thought my intention was obvious.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 05:01:41 AM »
I was just trying to build a fire under David & Tech that they would let ALWIL know how valuable their time was.  They are two of the most important people here, they deserve an off-topic forum.  They give great help & don't get paid for it.  I thought my intention was obvious.
Thanks for the explanation. It was not obvious for me, maybe because I'm not English native 8)
The best things in life are free.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 11:59:20 AM »
It would be nice if the alwil crew could comment in this thread. I alerted the moderators to this thread but i am not sure they will respond .

I am also for re-opening the off-topic section my main reason would be to reduce the off-topic chatting in serious threads ... At least i think that would help. Stricter moderating is also an option but i think re-opening the off-topic would be the best thing to do here .

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 03:04:51 PM »

1) It keeps the forums active so there will be someone online to help those in need.  It is boring to just be technical! ::)  Human beings need a little fun.  It might be enough for DavidR & Tech to have no life except to fix computer software problems.  :(

3) It keeps old farts like Bob3160 off the streets & out of trouble. ;D

4) It promotes comraderie(sp) between regular users as well as with new users & therefore strengthens the forum and all it's users.

5) You may just be able to make a member have a good laugh after all laughter is said to be the best medicine..and don't light your farts they do combust  8) butt burn is very painful;D

6)

7)

8 )

9)

10)

Number 5 is my contribution.    :)

Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

kubecj

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 03:56:01 PM »
The offtopic was closed because of unacceptable behaviour of some of the members which lead to rebellion agains local mods and lots of spam for admin (pavel).

We try to concentrate on our anti-virus work and this forum is used mainly for tech support. We don't have time/means/will to play the games with our users. Regarding me, I'm still against off-topic here.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 04:22:16 PM »
Regarding me, I'm still against off-topic here.

Well, it's a pity to hear that, but afterall you are an Administrator of this forumб & that is your will.
Take care.
P.S. If anyone here want's my IMHO , than I'm on to reopen off-topic forum ::)

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 06:34:32 PM »

Tednelly, is this the voice of experience?    ???    ;D    :D

5) You may just be able to make a member have a good laugh after all laughter is said to be the best medicine..and don't light your farts they do combust   butt burn is very painful ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 07:10:35 PM »
Entry #3 not appreciated.  >:(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

CharleyO

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 07:54:25 PM »

I believe that was meant as a joke, Bob ... indicated by the  ;D ... wink & grin.