Author Topic: Avast Home vs McAfee Home Edition  (Read 12486 times)

se224141

Avast Home vs McAfee Home Edition
« on: September 07, 2007, 09:02:40 AM »
At http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130869/article.html, I find McAfee doesn't figure at all whereas Avast does. At http://www.av-comparatives.org/, I find Avast and McAfee to be in the same league.

How is Avast Home rated against McAfee Home Edition?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Home vs McAfee Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:59:23 PM »
Well you are hardly going to get an unbiased view on a support forum for either of the AVs.

I didn't think McAfee had a 'free' version (only a 30 day trial), so in that respect no contest avast for home is free for home/non-commercial use.

Even if they are close in one aspect, on-demand scan detections avast is the most flexible and configurable AV that I have used and there many ex McAfee users in the forums who are now happy avast users.

What you need to look at are reviews and specifications/functions/features and see which best match your needs, but if cost is a factor avast home wins hands down.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

se224141

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:24:40 PM »

I didn't think McAfee had a 'free' version (only a 30 day trial), so in that respect no contest avast for home is free for home/non-commercial use.

I know McAfee has no free version. I have privilege to use their home edition free of charge as long as I want. My then real question (rather dilemma) is whether I should use Avast or McAfee that comes with a firewall as well.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 02:48:43 PM »
I never was much in favour of suites, Jack of all Trades, Master of None. I much prefer to be able to choose a firewall of my choice which meets my needs and not what comes in a suite.

There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo, PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc.
- Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes.

See http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php later set of results
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouniernetwork

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 02:50:31 PM »
In my opinion Mcfee is not as bad as Symantec but still isn't great.
I would personaly recommand my configuration:
Avast Home
Comodo Personal Firewall (The best one is the market and free)
Virus Total for suspisious files
and Common Sense

Hope this Helps

Al968

news

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »
I never was much in favor of suites, Jack of all Trades, Master of None. I much prefer to be able to choose a firewall of my choice which meets my needs and not what comes in a suite.

Freedom of choice...totally agree.  I do not like suites..never have..never will.
As I stated in a previous post...check the websites....read up at some of the well reviewed magazines..pc world..etc and make your comparisons this way.

It's truly hard to ask someone to make comparisons on a particular product. The choice will ultimately be yours..of course.  You need to search the internet as I stated before and read up on the particular product you are looking to try.

Much easier to formulate an opinion this way...and then you will only have yourself to look to if the product is not what you expected it to be.

insider

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 03:49:50 PM »

I know McAfee has no free version. I have privilege to use their home edition free of charge as long as I want. My then real question (rather dilemma) is whether I should use Avast or McAfee that comes with a firewall as well.

Actually there is a free Mcafee version .... http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »
It's difficult for us, avast users, have another opinion. But, let's try.
If you have its version for free, why don't you keep it?
Although, avast + Comodo (firewall, free) make a very good team. Also, we don't like Suites 8)

I agree with Al... Please, Symantec no :'(
The best things in life are free.

insider

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »
sorry for the mistake : there is a free McAfee version http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 04:20:46 PM »
If the same restrictions apply as to those of its previous free version of Kaspersky then it is limited. Not to mention they are as likely to switch boats in mid stream as they did for those who took up the last activevirusshield offer and I would class Kaspersky as much better than McAfee.

se224141

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 09:18:55 PM »
sorry for the mistake : there is a free McAfee version http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

I am not referring to this version but their regular Home Edition which indeed is a paid version. All what I said is I have the privilege to get it free of cost. So it is free for me. My initial reaction is that it consumes more resources than Avast and startup is somewhat slower than that with Avast.

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 02:07:24 AM »

I am not referring to this version but their regular Home Edition which indeed is a paid version. All what I said is I have the privilege to get it free of cost. So it is free for me. My initial reaction is that it consumes more resources than Avast and startup is somewhat slower than that with Avast.
You see that Avast uses less resources and starts up faster. Having said what is in bold above, what seems to be the problem with making a decision?

~ At this forum, you have to expect us to be a little biased. After all, most of us giving advice were once users of those "Less than the Best" anti-vitus services.

al2

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 02:45:25 AM »

Yeah BUT NOTHINGS as BAD as Symantec is it, in terms of paying huge sums of money for the product?

For a start anyone with even modest PC experience knows to avoid symatec products like the plague they are - the main buyers are ignorant gullable PC newbies who are  completely taken in (like i was !!!) by the companies SLICK (but sick imo) properganderist promo. Anything taken over by symantec more than likely becomes bloated,a resource hog,( like Vista is to its alledged upgrade XP) less efficient/ effective / adaptable and above all an ever more increasing repugnant price tag( for poorer product) >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 04:35:11 AM »
Symantec more than likely becomes bloated,a resource hog, less efficient/ effective / adaptable and above all an ever more increasing repugnant price tag( for poorer product)
Agree.

like Vista is to its alledged upgrade XP
Well, I'm very happy with my new Vista installation 8)
The best things in life are free.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 04:57:09 AM »
Symantec more than likely becomes bloated,a resource hog, less efficient/ effective / adaptable and above all an ever more increasing repugnant price tag( for poorer product)
Agree.

like Vista is to its alledged upgrade XP
Well, I'm very happy with my new Vista installation 8)

How much teak did you do ?

;D

Al968