Author Topic: Why does this program bloc my taskbar icons?  (Read 5297 times)

GaryBang

Why does this program bloc my taskbar icons?
« on: September 07, 2007, 09:57:53 AM »
This isn't the first time - or computer - I try this and every time I loose my nerves because of the same reason:
After a while all the icons at right side of the taskbar disappear except wlan-connection and avast. There should be volume, calendar, bluetooth and power. Perhaps VRDB even... >:(
My machine is HP Compaq nx9105 and XP Home.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 03:30:04 PM by GaryBang »

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: Why does this p-o-s program bloc my taskbar icons?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:12:14 AM »
Any other Anti-virus on your system before you installed this p-o-s program.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 10:31:42 AM »
And why would avast! want or have any need to remove icons of other programs located in traybar?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:36:34 AM »
Gary, I suppose your familiar with the XP "hide inactive icons" feature...?
Right-click on the Taskbar, select Properties, go to the Notification Area page and click the Customize button...

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ross

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 04:31:36 AM »
VLK I'm amazed you even considered helping him. People like him don't deserve it (p-o-s software? excuse me?)

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:00:15 AM »

Yes ... what a nice way to ask for help!    >:(

Thanks to Vlk for answering because I had read it just after his posting and decided my answer would not have been a good one to give.    :-X 

I really do not understand the logic of asking for help in such a rude manner.    ::)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 06:29:05 AM »
Vlk is a member of the avast team and a true professional.  It is his duty and his style to overcome the gross ignorance and stupidity of some posters in this forum and he does it easily.

The part of me that used to be in his position still admires that ... the rest of me wants to tell such idiots what I really think of them.  I wish I could focus just a little more on the approach that we are here to help even the most p*ssed off user of avast ... I try .. I do try.     

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 01:13:34 PM »
Looks like Gary's lost his Bang  ::)
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

news

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 01:35:07 PM »
Vlk is a member of the avast team and a true professional.  It is his duty and his style to overcome the gross ignorance and stupidity of some posters in this forum and he does it easily.

So true! Vlk is basically one of the main reasons I came to avast!
Very ingenuous. Deals with each person the same...no matter what the circumstances. I truly like that.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »
I agree with you guys, alwil are very lucky to have Vlk working for them. I have only the deepest respect for the man.  :)

GaryBang

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »
My apologize for rude language and bad manners.  :-[
Actually I think that avast! is the best free antivirus program there is.
And thats why I'm using it in my other computer in which avast! is working perfectly.
So I am frustrated I can't get it work in this one properly. (It was an older one that I had same problems.)

Any other Anti-virus on your system before you installed this p-o-s program.

Yes I had but of course I uninstalled it before installing avast! and tried to find and delete all the files which were left
in program files, documents and settings or local files.

And why would avast! want or have any need to remove icons of other programs located in traybar?

Well thats the issue! If I go to the control panel and open the volume - or power - control there is "Show traybar icon" tabbed.
so I enable "hide" and again "show" the icons will appear in traybar.

Gary, I suppose your familiar with the XP "hide inactive icons" feature...?
Right-click on the Taskbar, select Properties, go to the Notification Area page and click the Customize button...

Cheers
Vlk

They are not hidden.
Sometimes when I reboot computer some of the icons will appear. Reinstalling avast! doesn't solve the problem.
Worst of all is that if the bluetooth icon won't show I can't connect to my bt-devices.
( Big bug in this HP that the bt-icon is the only way to connect.  >:( )

Looks like Gary's lost his Bang  ::)

Yes. I lost it and I am very sorry.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 03:40:24 PM by GaryBang »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Why does this program bloc my taskbar icons?
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 09:58:06 PM »
Yes I had but of course I uninstalled it before installing avast! and tried to find and delete all the files which were left in program files, documents and settings or local files.
Which was the antivirus? Norton? McAfee?

Sometimes when I reboot computer some of the icons will appear. Reinstalling avast! doesn't solve the problem.
1. Check the option in the Appearance tab of settings.
or
2. Repair your avast installation through Control Panel.
or
3. Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder
or
4. Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
See picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26155.msg213891#msg213891
This is the best way to solve this problem.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc.?
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

Re: Why does this program bloc my taskbar icons?
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 11:04:49 PM »

Also, you stated this was an older computer. How old is it and how much RAM does it have?

BTW ... thanks for the apology!    :)