Author Topic: Error registering on the forum  (Read 1218 times)

Offline dfabulich

Error registering on the forum
« on: September 09, 2021, 08:55:49 PM »
I attempted to register on the forum using my company's email address, dxxxxn @ choiceofgames dot com. I was able to create an account at id.avast.com, received the "please verify your email address" email, and clicked the link, but when I returned to the forum, I immediately received this error message:

"The username you tried to use contains the reserved name 'CEO'. Please try another username."

That error message can't be right, because I never typed in a user name; indeed, I had no option or opportunity to type in a user name. With no way to type a different user name, I can't register using my company's email address.

Can an administrator help me fix this issue?

(Note that the email domain name, choiceofgames dot com, does contain "CEO": choiCEOfgames)

(Also note that I was able to successfully register an account using my personal email address, but I'd rather use my work email for work stuff.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:37:23 PM by dfabulich »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error registering on the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 11:13:24 PM »
The username is what ties things together (avast forum and avast account) and that has to be an email id.avast.com relates to an Avast Account (if you have installed avast that is how the two are linked).  So that is where the reserve word ceo (even thought it isn't isolated as such).

In explaining your problem you are actually exposing your email address in a public forum, it could be harvested.  I would suggest modifying it so you don't see all of it.  dxn @ xxxxceoxxxxes dot com

Now that you have your id.avast.com account set up you should be able add an email to your account.  Click on the email address top right  the portrait and then Account Settings.  Now you should be able to Add a new email, once confirmed you could try to set that as your primary email address, hopefully this won't suffer the same fate.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline dfabulich

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 11:39:17 PM »
Thanks! I was able to add my work email as a secondary email on id.avast.com, then make it primary, thus changing my username on this forum to my preferred email.

I also scrubbed the user name of my email address, at your suggestion. (It's fine by me for the domain to be public, and, anyway, my email address has already been harvested, so there's nothing further to worry about there.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 12:32:13 AM »
You're welcome.

All appears to have gone well.
If you have setup your forum profile settings to notify you of replies to topics you start or contribute to (or click the Notify button at the top & bottom of the topic), you should then get an email notification to that email as it is now linked to the forum.

Also, now you have three posts you shouldn't get the captcha interrogation any more.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security