Author Topic: Web shield and its effect on latency and bandwidth  (Read 2172 times)

BunkFace

Web shield and its effect on latency and bandwidth
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:52:04 AM »
Does web shield have any effect on latency and bandwidth when surfing websites?

I am using a slow connection (only 128kbps) which is also shared by another computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web shield and its effect on latency and bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:43:14 PM »
I'm on dial-up 56K and don't have noticeable impact, so I would say it has a negligible effect and less so for slower connections as there is theoretically more time to scan content whilst other stuff is downloading. For a very vast broadband connection there is obviously more coming down the pipe very quickly so there might be a slight backlog. Remember this is in theory.

However for normal browsing you are unlikely to see much impact because the content unless very media heavy whilst you are browsing the page other stuff is being scanned and loaded, by the time you browse down the page the content has been scanned.

Unfortunately you don't fall under normal browsing as there might be two people browsing and if one is downloading large media files, etc. they would be possibly hogging the bandwidth making what you do appear slow and that would have nothing to do with the web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Web shield and its effect on latency and bandwidth
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:11:26 PM »
The best things in life are free.