Author Topic: Email Warning  (Read 4465 times)

basa

Email Warning
« on: September 09, 2007, 10:21:12 AM »
I recently sent an email from work to my home containing an image attachment.  When I received it Avast gave me a warning and my email was nowhere to be found.

Can I retrieve that email or how can I stop it happening again ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email Warning
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 05:31:07 PM »
What was the warning ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

More importantly what choice did you make on the alert ?
If you chose any option other than No Action, ignore then it is history.

I can't say how to stop it happening again as I haven't an information to decide why it happened in the first place.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

basa

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 07:30:20 PM »
I didn't get the typical Virus warning, only an email =
"[avast! heuristic - WARNING] Suspicious subject of message

Sender:  "07958877934@mmsreply.t-mobile.co.uk"<PZTdRgOUx_sLRTM7rDpiZkvQBT6w1_K1gbavIEKA@mmsreply.t-mobile.co.uk>
Recipient:  basa.wild@ntlworld.com
Subject: "

Didn't see the dialogue box in your reply, although I'm not sure I was the first person to open the email.  It might have been my wife who would probably hit the 'delete' button, although the sender (me) should have given her a clue !!

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »
This is the other possible alert image, this one about suspicious email and it gives a reason why it is thought suspicious, but this doesn't mean it is infected but suspicious. Again it depends on the action your wife chose.

You could send the same email again and record the information, but there should be some information in the avast log viewer as I already mentioned.

The fact that it indicates it came from you isn't something I would take as gospel as it is easy to forge the from email address.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »
Just to be sure you're clean, it will be good if you download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
The best things in life are free.