Author Topic: Mail scanner settings  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Mail scanner settings
« on: March 01, 2004, 08:32:16 PM »
On the mail-scanner Heuristics settings you can choose sinelt mode with either:  a) Let it be delivered  b) Delete/deny access  and c) Mark in subject field.

What does b) actually do.  Does it delete the whole message, or does it delete the attachment, or does it move the attachments to the chest (as normal silent mode does)?
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Mail scanner settings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 08:34:19 PM »
I think it deletes the whole message (at least in the case of the Internet Mail provider), but Im not 100% sure.

If you let it mark the Subject field instead, you can easily postprocess it using rules in your mail program (provided it supports them, which is very likely)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 08:38:14 PM »
OK, why is it handled different from the "silent mode" of "advanced" (normal scanner), where the attachment is deleted (or actually moved to the chest), but the message text is kept?  I'd like suspicious attachements to be removed (moved) in the same way - not the whole message deleted (if the message is deleted, I can't contact the sender...)
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
The problem is that the heuristic thing is not only for attachments. It treats the message as an entity, and does lots of checks - so if the message is in the end tagged as suspicious, it's not really clear what it should do besides discarding the whole mail... :-\

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 08:48:09 PM »
OK, I see. Are there more options in the Pro version?
If not, please add "delete attachement" as a wish :-)

If you do not select "silent mode" what choices will you get then (is "delete" or "move" attachment one choice :-)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 09:02:31 PM »
OK, 'Strip all attachments & deliver' could be an option.

The Home and Pro Editions are identical in terms of mail heuristics. That's all there is... (anyway normally you shouldn't really see much of those warnings - they're sort of 'safety pin').

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »
It was interesting to discover that (in Home, anyway), any exe attachment seems to be "suspicious".  Since I was expecting the file anyway, I accepted it and used the shell-scan which showed it was clean.

I presume, therefore, that the email provider doesn't actually scan these, simply acts on the basis of the file type?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 11:02:31 PM »
Absolutely.

But it's highly customizable (see Internet Mail provider's Settings, the two Heuritics tabs). Especially when you move the heuristic sensitivity slider to 'Custom'.

There should also be some discussion in the Help.

Vlk