Author Topic: Driver update is just money milking machine :)  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Audrius11

Driver update is just money milking machine :)
« on: September 13, 2021, 10:49:14 AM »
Today got message about outdated drivers. Details says that newer version is the same as current.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Driver update is just money milking machine :)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 02:43:50 PM »
Today got message about outdated drivers. Details says that newer version is the same as current.
A screenshot would be helpful. Thanks
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »

Hello,

first of all let me sincerely apologize for all troubles associated with usage of our product.
This seems like an issue inside a product rather than a desired state.

In order to be able to help you I would like to ask you to send the log files so we can investigate where the problem is.

You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Driver Updater\dulogcollector.exe and once the logs are collected they will be automatically sent to our server.
Once it is done, please let me know which email address you have used there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you.

Offline redwolfe_98

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »
i have seen the same thing where some drivers had the same version-numbers but different dates and so the driver updater program showed driver-updates as being available, due to the difference in the dates (despite both the old and new drivers having the same version-numbers).

i don't think that it is a big problem.

i went ahead and installed the driver-updates that the driver updater program showed as being available.

Offline Vladimir Yudin

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 11:45:57 AM »

Two days after the Trial period ended, this message popped up. And the NEW driver was 2019.
When I went to Device Manager, found this device and selected to update automatically, it updated itself within half a second, and the message in Driver Updater disappeared. That is, this "driver" was on my computer the whole time. But for some reason for the entire Trial period Updater could not or did not want to find this "update", or it "invented" this "update" after the end of the free period.
Maybe it's all coincidence though ))
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 11:49:59 AM by Vladimir Yudin »

Offline artsuisse

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 02:28:07 AM »
Screwed up my brand new computer so much. They would not let me talk with help techs. I had to restore all the old drivers. I am in only 30 days of a 60 day free trial and are charging for a year. HORRIBLE!!!!!

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 03:58:11 PM »
Screwed up my brand new computer so much. They would not let me talk with help techs. I had to restore all the old drivers. I am in only 30 days of a 60 day free trial and are charging for a year. HORRIBLE!!!!!

Hello,

First of all let me sincerely apologize for all troubles associated with usage of our product.
This is not intentional behavior.

Could you please be more specific about which drivers you had trouble with? Also where did you get the information that you could not get in touch with our technicians? You can always contact our support center in case of any troubles or concerns you might have with our product.
And regarding the automatic renewal process, as far as I know you should not get charged earlier than at the very end of the Trial period cycle (after the whole 60 days). If that is not the case, again please contact our support center and they will walk you through the refund process and cancel your subscription if you like.

If you still experience any technical difficulties which might be connected to usage of our product in order to be able to help you I would like to ask you to send the log files so we can investigate where the problem is.
You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Driver Updater\dulogcollector.exe and once the logs are collected they will be automatically sent to our server.
Once it is done, please send me your email address you have used there into PM so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you.

Offline henrysvy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 02:18:17 PM »
I would be cautious about this product and cancel all subscriptions so you don't get billed twice for the same product. I was billed twice for the same product. First time on Oct 29, 2021 for Euro 39.99. The Driver Updater was good until Nov 22, 2022. (Order ID    46335843439)

Second time, I was again automatically billed on Jan 5, 2022 for Euro 89.99 for the same product. (Invoice ID 104012596500)

This all happened through PayPal and Digital River.

Stopping the extraordinary payment through PayPal is impossible as they keep denying my claim for a charge-back. Contacting Avast is impossible because their refund page and Chat do not work.

Conclusion: I have now paid Euro 89.99 for the same driver in 2 months. For the consumer, I would be wary of Avast subscriptions and cancel all of them. Better to do it manually than sorry, as they have made refunds a runaround to nowhere. Check your PayPal accounts and cancel all subscriptions. For extra protection, don't connect credit cards to PayPal to avoid paying a subscription you don't want.

Warning: Avast has very tricky popups with tiny, tiny close buttons marked X. If you miss it by a pixel or 2 you may find yourself subscribing a product instead of closing the irritating popup. Clever.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0