Author Topic: Ashserv using up CPU  (Read 7499 times)

Beylia

Ashserv using up CPU
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »
I've happily used Avast for years now, but recently it is sucking up all my CPU. (Anywhere from 75% to 99%)
I know what is causing it, I just don't know how to fix it.  The avast! icon is spinning in they systray which I know means that it is scanning something.  It is the Standard Shield scanning my Trend Micro Anti-Spyware (I checked in the details).  It locks up my computer sometimes whenever I try to do anything.  How do I make it stop doing that?  My pc has slowed to a crawl.  I'm not doing anything in particular when it happens (which is almost all the time).  Most of the time, I am just trying to check my email or forum.  This only started a couple of months ago but has gotten much worse and more frequent these last two weeks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ashserv using up CPU
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:24:50 PM »
Well would you care to tell us what is causing it ?

It isn't just saying that ashServ.exe is using the CPU, what we need to determine is what is the activity it is scanning.

Is this Trend anti-spyware part of a suite ?
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Edit:
Vlk, always says that the guidelines for solving of the problem "ashServ.exe using too much CPU" has always been the same:
1. Check if the avast tray icon is spinning (while CPU usage is high)
2. If it is, click it (wait for the dialog box to open), and check which file is being scanned (the Last Scanned field); the Scanned Count value should be increasing (spinning icon means a scan is in progress)
3. Find out which of the providers is scanning the file (click "Details" button and check out the Last Scanned value for each of the providers). The most common providers that may cause this are Standard Shield, P2P Shield and IM Shield.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:26:51 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Beylia

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 09:03:25 PM »
Well would you care to tell us what is causing it ?

C:/Program Files/Trend Micro/Tmasy/ssapi.log
That is what it has been scanning.  As I said earlier, it's Trend Micro Anti-Spyware 3.5

It isn't just saying that ashServ.exe is using the CPU, what we need to determine is what is the activity it is scanning.
I know that.

Is this Trend anti-spyware part of a suite ?
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Trend Micro Anti-Spyware is a stand alone program as far as I know.  When I first bought this pc 2 years ago, they had a Norton trial installed on it.  I uninstalled it when it was finished its trial and used CCleaner afterwards which removed the registry keys, etc.

Edit:
Vlk, always says that the guidelines for solving of the problem "ashServ.exe using too much CPU" has always been the same:
1. Check if the avast tray icon is spinning (while CPU usage is high)
2. If it is, click it (wait for the dialog box to open), and check which file is being scanned (the Last Scanned field); the Scanned Count value should be increasing (spinning icon means a scan is in progress)
3. Find out which of the providers is scanning the file (click "Details" button and check out the Last Scanned value for each of the providers). The most common providers that may cause this are Standard Shield, P2P Shield and IM Shield.

This is how I found out what it was scanning in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 09:07:23 PM by Beylia »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:30:06 PM »
C:/Program Files/Trend Micro/Tmasy/ssapi.log
What happens if you add this file to the Exclusion lists?

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...
The best things in life are free.

Beylia

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:51:04 PM »
Thanks Tech.  I'm going to try that and let you know.  I wasn't sure if it was okay to put that file in the exclusion list.  I've never had to do that before and didn't know if it would affect Trend Micro at all.

Update: So far so good.  Thanks for all of your help.  It is much appreciated.  I've never seen Avast do that before.

Silly question:  That shouldn't do anything to Trend Micro right? It should only stop Avast from scanning that file?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:05:14 PM by Beylia »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:09:20 PM »
Well by default, LOG files are in the Standard Shield's exclusion set (*.log). Have you tweaked the default settings in any way?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Beylia

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 10:10:05 PM »
Nope haven't tweaked it all.  Still the same as when I first installed it.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 10:12:01 PM »
Can you check the list of exclusions that it really contains the *.log entry?
(follow Tech's instructions to get to the exclusion list).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Beylia

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 10:14:39 PM »
I checked and I didn't see anything in the list that ended with *log besides the Trend Micro one that I put in.

It only started getting really bad a couple of weeks ago after a update.  Could that have something to do with it?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:17:14 PM by Beylia »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 10:21:07 PM »
I've never had to do that before
There is always a first time...

and didn't know if it would affect Trend Micro at all.
It shouldn't...

That shouldn't do anything to Trend Micro right? It should only stop Avast from scanning that file?
Yes.

Can you check the list of exclusions that it really contains the *.log entry?
I don't have it by default either...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 11:37:38 PM »
Well the *.log entry is in my standard shield exclusions and I certainly didn't add it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 11:56:52 PM »
Well the *.log entry is in my standard shield exclusions and I certainly didn't add it.
Well, I'm checking on Vista and they're not there.
Can you post your full list David?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 12:04:37 AM »
This isn't easily done because you can't expand the window to display all of them (there are a lot) and you can't copy the list.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 12:13:49 AM »
This isn't easily done because you can't expand the window to display all of them (there are a lot) and you can't copy the list.
f2 will allow to rename, you can copy from there... ok, a little extra-work ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 12:22:10 AM »
?:\PAGEFILE.SYS - I can't recall if I put that there or not, but it takes care of my two pagefiles.
*.TXT
*.LOG
*.INI
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.TMP
*\_AVAST4_\UNP*.TMP
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.MANIFEST
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.CAT
C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\*.POLICY
*\EDB.CHK
C:\*\XJ8OV5FX.DEFCSC\*.TMP
Code: [Select]
C:\WINDOWS\CSC\?0?????? - to avoid the ??? smiley
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:23:48 AM by DavidR »