Author Topic: Used Autopatcher Registry tweaks, a little help to correct something ...  (Read 5807 times)

Happy-Dude

Heya guys !!

Well, this is basically my situation:

I used AutoPatcher for some registry tweaks to make my system be safer and run faster. My problem after the first restart is that everytime I refresh the desktop, the boldness appears (I have cleartype enabled, and it makes the text painfully dark to read when its bolded). It isn't highlighted (like its blue or has dotted-box on it), but it disappears after A window is ontop of it (like the open start menu or a window, or highlighted).

So, guys, how can I correct this ? Thanks a lot, and all the help and consideration is appreciated :) !!

EDIT:
Oh no ... I noticed something else too ... I opened COMODO firewall pro from the startup area (the corner) and the UI bar on top (the bar with the icons and the minimize/restore/close thinggys) is a bit messed up ... Oh god, helppp !! How can I correct this ?? (I noticed this isn't for all the programs, it looks like WinPatrol doesn't have that problem :) ...)

EDIT 2:
I thought it would be helpful to know that I used the May core release package (not the latest one) and I have almost all critical current Microsoft Updates (except for this months, I'll get that in a second).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 04:47:54 AM by Happy-Dude »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Used Autopatcher Registry tweaks, a little help to correct something ...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 04:50:03 AM »
Happy-Dude, tweaks from AutoPatcher are a nightmare... you can't restore them easily.
Maybe you should use only the updates of it, not the tweaks.
Did you try to use System Restore and bring back your system to the situation before the AutoPatcher installation?
The best things in life are free.

Happy-Dude

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 04:53:48 AM »
I didn't that that I would need to use System Restore, but is that my only choice ? Darn, I should've known better.

Well, I guess I can use System Restore to undo the changes, but not immediately. Is there anything else that can undo it ?

EDIT-
Oh, will System Restore affect updated programs (like Avast! updates) ? If it does, I'll hold off updating for the time being, including the patch tuesday ones and other programs.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 04:58:20 AM »
Well, I guess I can use System Restore to undo the changes, but not immediately. Is there anything else that can undo it ?
There are some options into the AutoPatcher folder links (Start Menu) to undo some tweaks, you can try them.

Oh, will System Restore affect updated programs (like Avast! updates) ? If it does, I'll hold off updating for the time being, including the patch tuesday ones and other programs.
I don't think it will affect avast updates but for sure it will affect Windows Updates. You'll need to update your system again.

Happy-Dude

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 05:04:28 AM »
Thanks Tech for the responses, but aside from that, will programs be affected also (like updates to CCleaner) ? I suppose so, since that was what Microsoft designed System Restore to correct. But it wouldn't change anything saved to folders, will it ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 05:16:40 AM »
Thanks Tech for the responses, but aside from that, will programs be affected also (like updates to CCleaner) ? I suppose so, since that was what Microsoft designed System Restore to correct. But it wouldn't change anything saved to folders, will it ?
It just affect system folders and files (as far I know). It's not perfect but it can restore your display settings. It won't harm as if it fails, you can choose another restore point and, also, turn back to the actual situation. Your personal folders and files shouldn't be affected.

Happy-Dude

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 05:19:58 AM »
Great, that works out fine, than (I unfortunately removed AutoPatcher BEFORE a restart in order to conserve immediate drive space ... Darnit, I shouldn't known better).

Well, I get to system restore once I downloaded a few program updates (WinPatrol, IE7Pro, etc. etc.). Everything should continue on just fine (I hope ...).