Author Topic: Please Help with Avast & Gmail  (Read 19957 times)

pete7769

Please Help with Avast & Gmail
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
Hi to all

Please Please can someone help  ???, i have only just noticed that avast does not scan my incoming or outgoing emails from gmail, i have looked around on this board and realise the two programs i need to get to be able to get this to work, but I'm not too technical and the threads i have read have confused me no end, also its seems that all the threads i read only seem to talk about scanning one email provider, ie gmail, my other worry is that i have two email accounts, an orange one that works/scans fine and the gmail one, both of which download into my email program, but i don't want to upset the e-mail scanning of the orange one, so please please please can someone show me in very simple terms, what I'm supposed to do, as regards to settings, modifying ini files etc, i really want to get this working but I'm just not sure of what to do.

Thanks in advance
Pete  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Please Help with Avast & Gmail
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »
First of all, it's not possible because Gmail uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections. Avast mail scanner doesn't support SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections. But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.

There is an explanation of this here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28150.msg229981#msg229981

Since SSL/TLS e-mail is encrypted and decrypted in the client, external virus scanners (including avast!) can't read or scan it.
The solution is to pass e-mail in and out un-encrypted from your client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, ...) to a proxy program (Stunnel) that does the actual ssl or tls encryption/decryption of the pop3/smtp e-mail and communicates directly with the ISP server on the appropriate ports. Download here: http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html
The best things in life are free.

pete7769

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply  :), but these are the same threads i have looked at, but they totally confused me, i was just really hoping that some very kind person would just show me exactly what to do on this thread so that i dont get confused with any settings that i dont need, like spam filters etc   :(

Pete

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
You'll need to download and install Stunnel.
You'll need to configurate the stunnel.conf file to work with GMail.
Then change your email account configurations and set avast.
If you want help, start and ask 8)

pete7769

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »
Ok tech, thanks a lot, can i continue to ask on this thread??, i will download tonight, its the ini file and avast that im going to have problems with, by the way im using avast pro, xp sp2, and incredimail (dont laugh!!)

Thanks

Pete  ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:29:04 PM by pete7769 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 03:08:22 PM »
Also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26654.msg217996#msg217996, it is a little more detailed, I don't know if that is a good or bad thing ;D

Or Gmail and Avast Providers
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pete7769

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 04:08:29 PM »
Thanks DavidR, like i said before i will download it tonight and start having a look, please can you watch this thread as im sure things are not going to go smoothly, like i said before im just worried that i will either stop scanning my orange e-mail or it will just stop sending/recieving e-mail full stop  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 05:32:22 PM »
There will be many eyes watching the topic, all those who contribute to the topic get a notification of new posts.

Personally I don't use Gmail so don't have a requirement for Stunnel, but there are many on the forums who do including Tech, so you should have plenty of help. print off the topics some find it easier to work from print than continually switch back and forward from the topics.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 05:34:34 PM »
can i continue to ask on this thread?
Yeah... we'll be here.

pete7769

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
hi Chaps

i have done everything as described here

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26654.msg217996#msg217996

but although e-mails are coming through, they dont appear to be scanned, when i look at the on access scanner, it tells me the outgoing e-mail from my orange account has been scanned, but i sent it to my google e-mail address and when that comes in the on access scanner doenst change, saying incoming message scanned???

i have attchaed the stunnel log file if this will help???

Pete

pete7769

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 07:34:50 PM »
just tried to send e-mail from my google account to my google account, it went and i can now see it in my inbox on the web, but my e-mail program wont download it???, i have also attached my avast ini file to see if that will help solve the problem...

Pete

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 01:27:19 AM »
It looks to me from the log that you have set your mail client to use port 11110 as the POP port that connects to STunnel. 

Now you must tell avast to scan the connection between your mail client and STunnel. 

In the Internet Mail provider you need to click "Customize" and in the Redirect tab you need to add your chosen POP port (11110) to the POP box making sure to separate it from the number already there with a comma. 

You need to add your chosen SMTP port (11025) to the SMTP box making sure to separate it from the number already there with a comma.

You also need to uncheck the "Ignore local communication" box. 

Now click "OK" and avast should start scanning your GMail messages.   

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 01:34:11 AM »
Did you edit the avast4.ini yourself rather than using the avast interface?

Your avast4.ini, has multiple POP & SMTP redirect entries.  I am not sure how avast will interpret those. 

What does the Interneet Mail provider show in the Redirect tab for the redirected ports?

By the way you must now remove from your mail client any setting for a secure session for your GMail account (bot for POP & SMTP).  If you still have it set for a secure session it will be blocked.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:36:27 AM by alanrf »

pete7769

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 08:59:45 AM »
Thanks for the info alan, i have now set everything back to how it was as i was having so much trouble sending e-mails, i will have another look on thursday night and try what you said, i will also attach my original avast ini file so that you can see how that looks before i change anything, by the way i changed the ini files using the normal text editor, not within avast itslef.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:04:20 AM by pete7769 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »
It is always best to use the avast interface to make changes whenever possible rather than inventing your own changes to the avast4.ini file.

Please let us know how you get on and if you need further assistance. 

I found it fairly easy to get STunnel working with GMail and having avast in there scanning away.