Author Topic: NEW Avast Version 21.8 (September 2021)  (Read 35305 times)

Offline reemp91

Re: NEW Avast Version 21.8 (September 2021)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »
<snip>
Strange, you just need one number higher version because you must release new version each month for no reason.

It isn't one number higher, but an increment 0.1 and not 1 (a whole ordinal, usually a major update).

Most AVs do this releasing minor changes/updates/bug fixes on a reasonably frequent basis or people may think they are dormant.  Given all of the things you have said about Avast in the past I'm surprised you are still using it ;)
I use it only because i am on Win 7 where is no Windows Defender.

I'm pretty sure you can still switch to any other Anti-Virus such as Avast that supports Windows 7.

Offline potlepel

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 08:52:24 PM »
Avast Passwords Chrome Extension, unlocking doesn't work after updated Avast v21.8

Offline Csicso

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 11:50:56 PM »
THis new AVAST LOGO is not looking good.Previous LOGO was SO FANTASTIC AND BEAUTIFULL

I liked the amobe logo.

Edit.: but this new logo is not bad. Get used to.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:51:14 AM by Csicso »

Offline wahyushikifujin

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 02:38:43 AM »
so in october all free users will get basic firewall features or will be pushed back in november to see annoying bugs related to firewall ?

Offline Tangy

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 03:11:49 AM »
I got avast free firewall about 10 days ago when I manually updated to version 21.7 from 21.6. My other computer did not get the firewall.
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Offline wahyushikifujin

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 04:21:00 PM »
hey is this ui change also related to the updated firewall feature and is this mid october all users can get a stable firewall ?

Offline sigowi6532

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 07:34:32 PM »
hello I'm new in the forum, I registered just to say my opinion about this new version, the avast logo on my desktop is the same as the old version while in the toolbar it appears to be the new one, lately avast not liking it has always small bugs, if you continue like this it will get worse, 3 months ago I tried a paid antivirus with trial for a month, this antivirus detected me viruses that avast has never seen, they were not false positives and they were not old programs avast left over after uninstalling it, I went back to avast but I'm seriously thinking about ditching it. This little bug of the logo that does not update after the new version is the classic straw that breaks the camel's back, please try your updates before making them available to everyone. Losing 400 million customers is easier if you never solve problems bye

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 09:16:08 AM »
If I disable the shields, and open avast, it says that I am protected but if I go to the shields section they appear disabled,Also icon next to the clock says in green protected,Only in windows 10 security center warns that avast is disabled.

Latest version of avast and windows 10 64 bits

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
When I click the link for the offline installer download, Firefox says "The owner of iavs9x.avg.u.avcdn.net has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

This looks bad for a digital security software producer.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2021, 01:32:42 PM »
When I click the link for the offline installer download, Firefox says "The owner of iavs9x.avg.u.avcdn.net has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

(In case the hyperlink here wouldn't work in your browser, just paste and copy the URL to the browser address bar)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 05:34:12 PM »

(In case the hyperlink here wouldn't work in your browser, just paste and copy the URL to the browser address bar)

The problem is that the initial link in first post for offline installers appears to redirect to an http link (pretty poor form for a security company). 

If you have setup Firefox to use https connections only, this is the error you will bump into, but it should give you the option to open the http site.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Yincognito

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 05:45:19 PM »
Hi, I've been an user of a paid solution before, but right now I use Avast AV Free and Windows Firewall + Windows Firewall Control as a security combo, besides the UBlock Origin + UMatrix combo in Chrome. I believe the following:
- the size of the offline installer (which is prefer) is a bit too large compared to other solutions
- the "threat" alerts in Avast are slightly too generic, in most cases, and had already quite a couple of false positives, not to mention quite a lot do not disturb offers for programs that didn't need it
- the addition of a firewall to the free AV is excellent from my POV, but although I'd like to, I can't use it because other solutions offer much more control over that part (e.g. the network rules are locked; only the useless local address is available to set in the application rules and not the remote address - a generic address group like local subnet doesn't exist either; it's unclear if the profile refers to the location of the request, the type of network or the user settings; there isn't a possibility to allow or block only a certain service from an executable, e.g. only the WIA aka stisvc service from svchost.exe; there isn't a bare minimum - i.e. no update, telemetry or other useless crap - set of rules that you can apply in the firewall and then build on it, e.g. only the "core networking", file & printer sharing, ICMP v4-v6, network discovery on NB and SSDP and the time synchronization service; etc.)
- I understand that some additional features to the firewall are available only for premium usage, but if you do include the firewall in the free offer (a good thing, at least for the user), it should have at least the level of control available in other free products, or you'd end up with people wanting to use the module but choosing otherwise because they can't properly configure stuff they need to
- disabling AND enabling shields from Avast Shield Control should act on the shields that are / were currently in use, and not necessarily on all of them; for example, in my case, disabling all shields when I need it works fine, but since I use Avast with the firewall turned off (see above why), enabling the shields back also enable the firewall, thus requiring me to turn it off each time I re-enable the shields; of course, one normally wants to act on all shields at once, but then, it doesn't make much sense to disable something that's already off, or enable something that's going to be turned off anyway; as an alternative, a small list of available shields to turn on and off somewhere will do as well, since right now they are spread over multiple places in the application

Overall, the product seems good, but I guess it could be improved further. I still don't have the same feeling of absolute security whatever I would have done, that I had when using the paid solution, but that's probably natural and maybe it will improve with time.

P.S. Oh, and please, for the love of god, change the way you update the product (not the definitions). I have to remember to temporarily create a firewall rule for every C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\Setup\New_[NumericalIDHere]\instup.exe file each time I update the AV, and then delete it afterwards, due to the dynamic nature of the path...

P.S.S. One more thing, this time regarding the forum: is it normal to see my IP under my posts? If so, is it visible to other users, or only to the moderators / admins, hopefully Avast employees? If the former, is there a way to block it from being visible to everyone?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:49:58 PM by Yincognito »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »
Hi, I've been an user of a paid solution before, but right now I use Avast AV Free and Windows Firewall + Windows Firewall Control as a security combo, besides the UBlock Origin + UMatrix combo in Chrome.
<snip>
P.S.S. One more thing, this time regarding the forum: is it normal to see my IP under my posts? If so, is it visible to other users, or only to the moderators / admins, hopefully Avast employees? If the former, is there a way to block it from being visible to everyone?

The IP address is visible only to you the user and those with Moderator functions.

Just take a look at posts by other posters and you won't be able to see their IP addresses.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline potlepel

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 08:58:27 PM »
unlocking avast passwords with the avast passwords chrome extexension no longer works in this new version

Offline Yincognito

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2021, 09:07:59 PM »
The IP address is visible only to you the user and those with Moderator functions.

Just take a look at posts by other posters and you won't be able to see their IP addresses.
Yeah, I already noticed that regarding the other posters - just wanted to make sure of it. Thanks for confirming it, much appreciated.