Author Topic: Reporting Interval  (Read 3269 times)

Offline kenhagin

Reporting Interval
« on: September 17, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »
I don't find any setting to control reporting interval.  This program pops up around 3-4 times per week.  This is very annoying.  I don't trust it enough to allow it to actually clean anything, so I just look at the recommendations and make my own decisions (The Background and Startup Programs listing is completely useless!).  I would like to be able to set it to only pop up every two weeks or so...

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Reporting Interval
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 08:26:00 AM »
I don't find any setting to control reporting interval.  This program pops up around 3-4 times per week.  This is very annoying.  I don't trust it enough to allow it to actually clean anything, so I just look at the recommendations and make my own decisions (The Background and Startup Programs listing is completely useless!).  I would like to be able to set it to only pop up every two weeks or so...

Hello,

at the moment you can set up whether you want to see the notifications coming from particular features or not in Menu -> Settings -> General -> Notifications (see the attached screenshot).
However the frequency of popups as you reported (3-4 times per week) is not intentional as the product is currently set up to show them only once per week.

Therefore I would like to ask you for logs from your machine so we can check whether there is any problem with the notification.
You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe and once the logs are collected they will be automatically sent to our server.
Once it is done, please let me know which email address you have used there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you.

Offline kenhagin

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
I waited a few days because after you said 1 week interval I thought it could just be my imagination.  I have 5 computers with Avast.  On 9/22, all of them popped up.  Again on 9/25, all of them popped up.  So it wasn't my imagination...  I did perform log gathering on one computer, associated with the email kenhagin@pobox.com.

Offline Krisvdvijver

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 11:59:20 AM »
I came here for the exact same issue:  I'd like to configure the frequency of notifications myself, and,  I sometimes receive notifications more than 1x per week.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 01:56:37 PM »
Hi kenhagin and Krisvdvijver,

Thank you for sharing the log files, we will definitely take a look at it.

In the meantime could you please take a screenshot of some of these notifications you keep getting so we have a better idea what type of notifications/pop ups are problematic in this case?

Thank you for your help!

Offline kenhagin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »
See attached.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
See attached.

Hi,

So we analyzed the logs and data from your machine and overall there is no issue with the functionality itself. The only problem is that the current design and architecture of our notification system is not "mature" enough therefore there is missing an option to schedule the notifications according to your own needs.

This will require more thorough changes in our product and therefore I would recommend you to go through the notification options (in Menu -> Settings -> General -> Notifications, you can check out my previous message) and disable these which do not interest you. By disabling them you won't be notified anymore about certain stuff.

Furthermore the reason why you are notified basically every 3rd day is that you also have Automatic Maintenance enabled which generates another notification on its own when finished.
The point here is that the interval for Automatic Maintenance notification is independent of the rest of the features therefore it could happen that you get Auto Maintenance notification at "day 1" and the rest of the notifications at "day 3" and this scheme is getting repeated every week over and over again.

So you have two options (workarounds) in general:

• Disable Automatic Maintenance notifications - If you are not interested in seeing it (or being notified about it in general), you can disable it (Maintenance -> When Automatic Maintenance is complete).
  • Disable all or most of the other notifications coming from other features.

I hope this explains how the system works at the moment so you are able to set it up according to your need and expectations at least to some point.
We will work on a better notification system for the future.

Thank you and have a nice day!