Author Topic: Avast, Clamwin and the explorer extention.  (Read 5414 times)

emy80

Avast, Clamwin and the explorer extention.
« on: April 25, 2006, 09:16:34 PM »
Hello! I'm posting here since mine is more a curiosity.
I installed ClamWin Antivirus as a back-up scanner. Since it doesn't have the real time protection it should not interfere with Avast!
When I scan my pc with ClamWin I pause all Avast! providers and so far I haven't had any problems.
I noticed that since I installed ClamWin, the explorer extention to scan a single file is showing three options, now: scan with Ewido (real time is not working anymore), scan with Avast! and scan with ClamWin.
In case I would like to scan a single file with ClamWin, do I have to pause all Avast providers?
I don't want to cause conflicts with those programs. Usually I scan just with Avast! but in case I would like a second opinion, I would like to know what is the right thing to do.
Thanks!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast, Clamwin and the explorer extention.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 10:25:56 PM »
No it will run as a seperate entity, at least to the best of my knowledge.  There should be no requirement to pause Avast, but it may take a nano second longer as Avast will scan the opening of the file as Clamwin checks it. 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 10:33:57 PM »
Well, if the file you are scanning (with ClamAV, for example) is infected and avast! detects this malware, there may be an interference - avast! resident protection may detect the access to an infected file and block it (displaying the "Virus Found!" dialog).
If the file is not infected (or avast! doesn't detect it), there shouldn't be any conflict.

emy80

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 11:04:11 PM »
Usually I scan files I download from the net. Expecially .zip or .rar files. if Avast! find something bad, the first thing I do is check it with Jotti to see if it can be a false positive.
I plan to use ClamWin as a file scanner just as the last option.
Thanks for answering.

black_moon

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 12:15:05 PM »
as 2nd on-demand antivir scanner which one works well with avast?
BitDefender or Clamwin. and what's the difference between the two if based on scanning speed, memory usage and ease of use. thanks.. 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:44:57 PM »
as 2nd on-demand antivir scanner which one works well with avast?
BitDefender or Clamwin. and what's the difference between the two if based on scanning speed, memory usage and ease of use. thanks.. 8)
BitDefender is, imho, better than ClamWin as a second opinion, based on features, detection rates. Anyway, you can test both, just do NOT install ClamWin guard (resident).
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 10:14:17 PM »
Ciao emy80,

I have used non-resident ClamWin next to the Avast resident scanner for a couple of years now. Never experienced problems, and know that ClamWin AntiVirus has quite another range, and is closing my vulnerability "window". The update rate is excellent, done by open software people. The speed and the engine is not first rate, and the technology of the engine not the latest, but other aspects this scanner also counts, I like it.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:45:14 PM »
The update rate is excellent
But not the detection rate (yet).

black_moon

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 10:16:08 AM »
detection wise bitdefender stands out but it has too many running process (bdlite.exe, bdcom, bdss, xcomm) it's heavy on resources. with Winclam there's no need to add it to start-up and the interface is very simple. i have settled with Winclam as back-up scanner.

i hope avast will apply bitdefender's intelligent scan w/c is really good. you can choose what action will be applied if it found a virus (settings). there's a 1st phase and 2nd phase. if Bitdefender can't disinfect the file then it will move it to quarantine automatically.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 11:10:26 PM »
you can choose what action will be applied if it found a virus (settings). there's a 1st phase and 2nd phase. if Bitdefender can't disinfect the file then it will move it to quarantine automatically.
This is available on avast Professional version (an even more than just 2 actions...).