Author Topic: Configure For Incredimail  (Read 9739 times)

Manchesters

Configure For Incredimail
« on: March 02, 2004, 06:19:19 AM »
One of the features that encouraged me to try Avast! is that it is said to work with Incredimail.  Can anyone tell me how to configure Avast! to work with my Incredimail program?  Step by step, please.....I am old and easily confused, lolol.

Also, one of my accounts that I pull in with Increcimail is my MSN/Hotmail account.  You can use Hotmail with Incredimail, in case anyone is interested.  And there is a free version of Incredimail.

I will be most appreciative of any help that I receive!

Regards,
Carole R. Ernst

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Configure For Incredimail
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 02:19:30 PM »
One of the features that encouraged me to try Avast! is that it is said to work with Incredimail.  Can anyone tell me how to configure Avast! to work with my Incredimail program?  Step by step, please.....I am old and easily confused, lolol.

Also, one of my accounts that I pull in with Increcimail is my MSN/Hotmail account.  You can use Hotmail with Incredimail, in case anyone is interested.  And there is a free version of Incredimail.

I will be most appreciative of any help that I receive!

Regards,
Carole R. Ernst

Maybe you have troubles with Hotmail (if it does not use pop3/smtp servers).
But with other email accounts you can use. Incredimail is supported by the Mail Protection Wizard. You shouldn't have problems with the configuration.

1. Close all your email applications.

2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard

3. Click Next on the first screen

4. Choose 'Setup the protection manually'

5. Choose 'I don't use MS Outlook (nor MS Exchange client) or
    'I use other programs to work with e-mails as well'
After the service was disabled, choose Next
Select your e-mail accounts (or 'My accounts is not in the list...' to get help)
Finish your configuration and the service will start again.
You can run the Mail Protection Wizard more than once and all the changes could be reversed ('Automatically remove protection from all my accounts').

If this not help, you, try the help file Manual setting of mail protection. Launch your mail program and let the program display the account settings.

1. If you want to check outgoing messages, change the address of SMTP server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1. The localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the way to scan your outbound mail.

2. If you want to check incoming messages, change the address of POP (IMAP) server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1. The localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the way to scan your inbound mail.

3. Change user (login) name this way: append the character # (double hash) and the address of your POP (IMAP) server (the same as you specified in the avast4.ini file in Step one). Login name should then look like this:
yourname#pop3.server.com

4. If your e-mail program supports SMTP authentication and also makes it possible to set a different login name for SMTP than for POP

5. If the SMTP authentication is enabled, append the character # and the address of your SMTP server to the login name (e.g. yourname#smtp.server.com).

6. If the SMTP authentication is disabled, enable it and use the character # together with the address of your SMTP server as the login name (e.g. #smtp.server.com).

7. Save your changes.

Hope this help...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Manchesters

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 07:03:49 PM »
Thank you so much for the response.  Now, if I might ask for one more bit of info.........is there ANY way to use Avast! with Hotmail?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 07:07:43 PM »
Thank you so much for the response.  Now, if I might ask for one more bit of info.........is there ANY way to use Avast! with Hotmail?

I do not use Hotmail but I suggest you make a search in this forums for the word Hotmail... You'll find a lot os posts.
For me Hotmail does not use pop3/smtp servers so it cannot be scanned by avast. But seems to be another programs that can download the Hotmail messages by a pop3 server and so allowinf avast to scanning...

Unfortunatelly I`m not sure  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Manchesters

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 03:15:21 AM »
I have given up on the Hotmail.  I have McAfee and will let it worry about the Hotmail.

I cannot figure out how to configure multiple accounts---I have a Bellsouth account, since I use Bellsouth DSL.  I tried using the Wizzard, but it didn't help.  Guess I will check thru the forum, and see what info I can find!

Thanx for the help!

htilburgs

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 11:19:01 PM »
Incredimail uses the "Internet Mail" option from avast!.
So just configure Incredimail like you normaly do and it should work fine.

The same goes with the Hotmail. When you configure hotmail in Incredimail, avast! will act on it.  :)

By the way, NEVER use more than 1 AV program on your pc.

I'm using Incredimail build 2501361 in combination with avast! Home edition 4.1.357 and it's working great!

Manchesters

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 11:53:09 PM »
Incredimail uses the "Internet Mail" option from avast!.
So just configure Incredimail like you normaly do and it should work fine.

The same goes with the Hotmail. When you configure hotmail in Incredimail, avast! will act on it.  :)

By the way, NEVER use more than 1 AV program on your pc.

I'm using Incredimail build 2501361 in combination with avast! Home edition 4.1.357 and it's working great!

I am not sure what information I should put into the Protection Wizzard for Incredimail.  I checked off to Automatically Protect all email programs.  On the next page it had 127.0.0-1 for both SMTP and POP servers.  I left it like that.  I guess the only thing I can do is keep an eye on the number of emails it runs thru the A/V.  Right now there are only 2!

If I can get Avast! working with the email, I will disable the McAfee.

Again, thank you!!!!

Carole

Manchesters

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 06:02:40 AM »
I think I got it figured out at last, lol.  I thought there was just one setting that would be used for Incredimail.  Then it dawned upon me that I should try configuring each individual account using the 127.0.0.1 settings for each individual account.  And praise the lord, it worked, rofl.

I configured my Bellsouth account and then sent a test email.  When I checked the Avast! "scorecard", it showed one email checked free of virus!!!!

Getting old and dim witted can be very frustrating.  You mind gets set into one way of thinking, and there you sit---stuck!

I shall have to try a test message now using the Hotmail/Msn email account.  But I have a feeling that that will not work, since it has an HTTP address instead of a server name...I think.

I do have a hint that a tech rep gave me that I want to try.  Hope springs eternal!!!!!

Thanks again folks!!

Carole

tapsu

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 02:38:09 PM »
I have another problem with setting up the protection - it says port 25 is already in use, specify another port value. Don't know what to do next! Besides, in the list of the accounts, it didn't show the outlook (which my wife uses with the Incredimail add-on)...
Any advise?

htilburgs

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 03:13:04 PM »
Can you be more specific?

When do you get this notification about port 25 already in use?

Besides, in the list of the accounts, it didn't show the outlook (which my wife uses with the Incredimail add-on)...

Is this in combination with the port 25 error or a solid problem?
What are you trying to do when the account is not listed.

Greetz....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 03:13:26 PM by HTilburgs »

tapsu

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 03:23:51 PM »
Hi!
The error message comes as soon as the wizard closes.
I can still receive e-mail (but not send), my servers are set as advised (127.0.0.1)
 :o
Tapani