Author Topic: My first scan  (Read 2863 times)

brutus1

My first scan
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:47:21 PM »
After setup andreboot, I scanned my (Vista -based) system. Along with a couple of adware problems (curiously, one of them was wbamp.exe - the Webshots installation program) I also was bemused to find winsock.dll, winsock32.dll and kernel32.dll. There's nothing under the tab -Virus. The problem is that I automatically had every threat moved to the chest. I figure these files might be kinda important and tried to return them to their respective places but was told that ... well, access is denied. So, before I reboot or even close down Avast, just how screwed am I?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: My first scan
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »
Those are backup copies of the 3 files. Avast put them there and will keep putting them back if you remove them. Expand the chest folder and you will see that it has 3 folders. User, system and infected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:20:24 PM »
Webshots has in the past been considered adware.

You can check out wbamp.exe at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.
Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. Whichever scanner you use, you can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

The only area you need be concerned with is the 'Infected Files' section, as oldman said the winsock.dll, winsock32.dll and kernel32.dll files are back-up copies and are in the System Files section. The User Files section (where they can do no harm) is where you the user can add files you believe are suspect and send them to avast for analysis. There is a forth section All Chest Files, but it is not a true section it collates and shows all files in the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

brutus1

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
Alright. Thanks. I think I got it. Avast! makes copies of these 3 files and puts them here (where I can't do anything with them, even if I needed them) for some reason and I shouldn't worry about it, Right?

As far  as Webshots, since I might, in the future install it, can I choose to "ignore" that file from now on?

Again, thanks to both of you. I was developing a ... moderate panic.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:40:33 PM »
Alright. Thanks. I think I got it. Avast! makes copies of these 3 files and puts them here (where I can't do anything with them, even if I needed them) for some reason and I shouldn't worry about it, Right?
Right.

Webshots wasn't ever consider a malware... Better if you submit that file to VirusTotal and check.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:17:27 PM »

avast can use them if the original files get infected 'it' can restore the copies.

welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security