Author Topic: Device Driver failed  (Read 10609 times)

ozzijan

Device Driver failed
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:23:44 PM »
Hello
Can anyone help me out with this problem?
Have XP Windows.  Also using Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4.  This window keeps popping up when I log in:-
16bit MS-DOS Subsystem
E:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
E:\PROGRAM\symantec\S32 EVNTI.DLL.
An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization.
Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
Options:- 'close' or 'ignore'

Thank You
Worried.

ozzijan

Re: Device Driver failed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
Back again.
I'm sorry forgot to mention the following:-
Using CCleaner too.
Noticed there are Norton files dating back to 2004 but there is a compressed folder dated 1/9, also program files this year(E:\Documents and Settings).  Don't use Norton only Avaste but I do empty the Norton recycle bin if CCleaner doesn't pick it up.

My problem seemed to occur after I did a scan with TendMicro Housecall 6.5 about 2 weeks ago.  A chap from Ebay told me to run this scan as I was having security problems with Ebay and was receiving spoof mails.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
You most certainly have remnants of Norton.
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

What is the reason for the use of drive E: as your boot drive, dual boot, etc. ?
Do those files exist in the locations given ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ifihadonechance

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 03:05:59 AM »
You most certainly have remnants of Norton.
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

David is right. Norton is still trying to work. You will need to remove traces of norton. Use the link given by David.  :)

ozzijan

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 03:21:44 AM »
Thanks David

The error seems to pop up only when I use the option 'May Spybot run a scan on your next startup'.  If I don't use this option nothing appears.  This is probably irrelevant?
When I searched for 'Symantec' nothing appeared.  However there are 45 files listed under 'Norton'.  Not sure what you mean by "Do the files exist in the location given?".
Can do a screen shot of these files (if this is acceptable).
No idea the reason for the use of Drive E: (sorry).
Would you suggest I use the site NOW to remove Norton?  A technician installed Avast & Spybot for me years ago, wonder why he didn't delete Norton then.

Thanks for your patience.

ozzijan

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 03:35:12 AM »
Hi Joshua

Thank You !!! but how do I find what version of Norton I have?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 03:43:22 AM »
Your welcome.

I think it may be relevant, with spybot trying to do a scan on the next boot there may wel be some possible conflict with avast, which does a limited scan on boot. The additional activity by spybot trying to open files to be scanned would cause avast to also scan that file before it allows spybot to scan it.

Personally I would leave that option well and truly alone based on your findings the problem isn't there when you don't select that option.

Using windows explorer navigate to those folders and check the file/s exists, it is just confirming they exist as missing files could cause a failure to load a device, possibly the S32 EVNTI.DLL.

I would most certainly recommend using the site and removal tool to ensure you have no Norton remnants, it can really get its hooks into a system and cause all sorts of issues even when uninstalled. The tech probably did an uninstall but not the extra step (not always required) but you still have the Symantec folder.

As to what version of Norton you have, I can't tell you how to find that out, but you could take an educated guess based on when the tech installed avast NAV works in years so if it was two years ago you may have had NAV 2005 or NAV 2004, depending on how long ago and how long you had NAV.

I also did a google search for S32EVNTI.DLL and that shows it is a Symantec virtual device driver so if that was missing it would fail to load. http://www.google.com/search?q=S32EVNTI.DLL
So there would appear to be a registry entry trying to load this device driver file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ozzijan

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 12:06:19 PM »
Hi again
I followed the link to remove Norton as you suggested, however, the following is still showing when I search:-
(today's date) SYMANTEC - (my name)@symantec E:\documents & settings Text Doc
(   "        "    )       "          shared E:\program files File Folder

AND
(today's date) NORTON - Files named Norton Recycle Bin
(   "        "    )       "       Save your Norton 2005 or 2004 product key then download & run the Norton Removal Tool (this appears twice)

Total number of files still showing in Norton (14) and there are still files showing from 2002 & 2004.

OK, now I could be wrong but this doesn't look right to me.
Can I try & delete all these files and/or run something again?

So sorry.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel (if any remains there, like LiveUpdate, etc.). Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista 2008.0.0.21.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Full SymNRT info:

1. Download and save these three files to the Windows desktop:
   a) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/MSIFIX.bat
   b) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe
   c) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg

2. Run the three files that you just downloaded
   a) On the Windows desktop, double-click the MSIFIX icon.
      Click Run.
      A black window may appear very briefly.
   b) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SymNRT icon.
      Click Run.
      Click Next.
      Click I accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
      Type the letters and numbers that you see in the white box, and then click Next.
      Click Yes or OK at each prompt.
      You may need to click more than once. Your computer may be restarted for you more than once.
      You may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.
   c) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SYMMSICLEANUP icon.
      Click Run, and then click Yes.
      Click OK.

3. Boot.
The best things in life are free.

ozzijan

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:21:49 AM »
Hi
Having trouble with SYMNRT on desktop.
Coming up as 'The version of Norton Removal Tool has expired".
Comment - click symantec for help, then 'download latest version of Norton Removal Tool' then it shows 'another instance of SYMNRT or another symantec repair tool is currently running' ???
What should I do?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »
Did you download the last version of SYMNRT?
If you click ctrl+alt+del, will you see any Symantec process running in background?
You can try the 3 steps I've posted too...

ozzijan

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 02:08:00 AM »
So sorry
Ctrl+Alt+Del only showed Windows Security Window Log on.
Use Task Manager to close an application that is not responding?

Re: Downloading latest version of Norton Removal Tool - still showing NCD as another instance of something? is still running.

Wonder if things aren't working because I first had Norton in 2000 I think & my version was Windows not XP??

Thanks again for your patience, mine is running out which is very unusual.

Cheers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 04:23:46 AM »
Ctrl+Alt+Del only showed Windows Security Window Log on.
Use Task Manager to close an application that is not responding?
Sorry, forget that Vista changed this to Ctrl+Shift+Esc

Oops, you have XP...
Can't you right click the task bar and choose the Task Manager option?

ozzijan

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 06:42:59 AM »
Sorry but you've lost me - please explain.
Ta

ozzijan

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 04:59:02 PM »
Hello back again.
Still having trouble with SymNR (Norton Removal Tool).
On Symantec website I see "What if this didn't work?" which shows 2 options - 'SET THE CORRECT COMPUTER DATE' and 'REMOVE A REGISTRY KEY'.
Tried the 1st option - through Control Panel but a window pops up - RUN AS.
It is set on 'Current user' (COMPAQ\JAN) - Selected is showing 'Protect my computer & data from unauthorized program activity'.
When I clicked 'OK' a window pops up - SymNRT invalid signature??

Do you suggest I try one or both these options?
If so, how do I do same??

Thank You