Author Topic: Hardened mode is for expert users  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Leo3487

Hardened mode is for expert users
« on: September 19, 2021, 05:56:45 PM »
Description of Hardened modfe at options is bad
It say "recomended for inexpert users"
But in fact, should be NOT RECOMENDED for inexpert users, due the amount of false positives

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Hardened mode is for expert users
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 02:06:35 PM »
Hi,

Enable Hardened Mode is recommended for inexperienced computer users who want to further secure their PC. Hardened Mode uses information based on reputation services to determine which executable files are safe to open.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 02:31:09 PM »
Hi Leo, hardened mode indeed may prevent you from using some apps (downloaded from the internet, not signed by a code signing certificate with a low number of users using the same app) - but isn't this exactly a category of apps that inexperienced users should not be using? If you know what you are doing, what is the source of the app, and why it is not signed, then you are qualified as an experienced computer user and might be happier with the Hardened mode switched off.

To sum up, I would argue that the Hardened mode is indeed more suitable for less experienced users.

Offline Leo3487

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 06:17:09 AM »
Really?
Im sure Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 is signed by Activision
(not pirate, bought and installed at Steam)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 04:37:30 PM »
Hardened Mode is useless. It's been useless ever since the strict whitelisting mode was removed. Because whitelist was really extensive, I hardly ever got a warning on clean apps. The "Moderate" mode that's the only option now spawns billions of warnings on literally everything. It's trash and it's ANYTHING but for inexperienced users. It's so bad and I have no idea why avast! team insists on it for some dumb reason. It makes no sense.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog