Author Topic: Automatic update error: "specified file cannot be found"  (Read 10131 times)

Forejt

Re: Automatic update error: "specified file cannot be found"
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 12:12:38 AM »
Check properties of C:\TEMP folder, does it grant SYSTEM account Full control permissions?

edsacks

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 12:28:52 AM »
Looking at c:\windows\temp, properties, I see no information about "system" attribute status/settings/permissions. Subdirectory attribute is set as read only.
The folder options settings for tools\folder options\view is set to "simple file sharing."  Under that setting, I do not think I have access to determine, let alone make temp\ attribute changes. What do you propose I do?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 12:50:21 AM »
This user has no problem running manual updates - why would the properties of the Temp folder change between the automatic update failure and the manual update success? 

I have yet to see a case (that I have personally investigated or that has been reported in this forum) with this specific error that was not corrected by either delaying the avast automatic update at startup or alternatively by disabling the Windows Automatic update service.  I do not recommend the latter but it speaks more to the likelihood of avast being just prevented from creating the temporary folder due to conflict at that time than any problem with the properties of the Windows temp folder.     

kubecj

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 12:52:30 AM »
The problem may be that automatic (ie. localsystem) updates may not have the rights to write to temp dir. Forejt is asking if they have.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 12:57:09 AM »
I agree it is worth checking but were this the case then I think the user would see more problems than just avast automatic updates.

Any answer to my question to you earlier? 

kubecj

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 01:01:20 AM »
I checked the code briefly and I don't see any such reporting, assigned that to Forejt (who is currently maintainer of the setup)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 03:54:07 PM »
Forejt (who is currently maintainer of the setup)
All your setups belongs to me... You've changed your work ;D
The best things in life are free.