Author Topic: Ashserv.exe - application error {fixed}  (Read 15532 times)

Nogard

Ashserv.exe - application error {fixed}
« on: September 14, 2007, 05:48:32 PM »
I uninstalled an older version of Avast and installed the new version of Avast and now I get a ashserv.exe application error when I get my windows xp log in screen.

Here's how I uninstalled avast:
1. used add/remove to uninstall it
2. rebooted
3. used avast uninstall tool
4. rebooted
5. removed all the left over folders and files from avast
6. removed left over registry strings from avast.
7. rebooted.

Here's my set up. No Av now, Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 4.0.1024.7809 (700) and proxomitron.  No other security tools running. Any ideas on how to fix this?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:29:59 AM by Nogard »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ashserv.exe - application error
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:54:19 PM »
I believe this may well be an outpost issue.
What is the full text of the application error that you got ?

I am using Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 4.0.1025.7828 (700) which is a slightly later version. Now when I downloaded the latest version, I exported my configuration and uninstalled the old version before installing the latest OP pro version. During that installation it recognised avast and said that this could be conflicting application and did I want to exclude or avoid conflict (or words to that effect) I answered Yes.

Now in the C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall (assumes you installed in the default folder) there is a file called wl_hook_data.cfg (this is just a text file), if you have this file add the following line to it:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashserv.exe

If you don't have the file create it using notepad or any text editor and add the same line C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashserv.exe (assuming you have installed avast in the default location). Save the file in the Outpost Firewall folder, the wl_hook.dll file should be in that folder so you should be able to see your new file is in the correct location.

Install avast, Reboot and hopefully you should be in business.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »
David, what a mess from Outpost... what's happening?
The best things in life are free.

Nogard

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »
I believe this may well be an outpost issue.
What is the full text of the application error that you got ?

I am using Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 4.0.1025.7828 (700) which is a slightly later version. Now when I downloaded the latest version, I exported my configuration and uninstalled the old version before installing the latest OP pro version. During that installation it recognised avast and said that this could be conflicting application and did I want to exclude or avoid conflict (or words to that effect) I answered Yes.

Now in the C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall (assumes you installed in the default folder) there is a file called wl_hook_data.cfg (this is just a text file), if you have this file add the following line to it:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashserv.exe

If you don't have the file create it using notepad or any text editor and add the same line C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashserv.exe (assuming you have installed avast in the default location). Save the file in the Outpost Firewall folder, the wl_hook.dll file should be in that folder so you should be able to see your new file is in the correct location.

Install avast, Reboot and hopefully you should be in business.

I have that same  file and the ashserv.exe was already in the file. It was the only thing in there.

The full error is: "Ashserv.exe - application error
The instruction at "0x7c90efc0" referenced memory at "0x3e12d830". The memory could not be "read".

here's what it says in my event veiwer.
Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7034
Date:      9/14/2007
Time:      3:02:35 PM
User:      
Computer:   
Description:
The avast! iAVS4 Control Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7022
Date:      9/14/2007
Time:      3:02:26 PM
User:      
Computer:   
Description:
The avast! Antivirus service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I don't know if that will help.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »
David, what a mess from Outpost... what's happening?

It is just a compatibility check in much the same way as web shield checks ZA pro, I have no issues with it but I thought about this compatibility check to see if it was there.

From the windows event log entry it looks like a problem with ashserv.exe and not OP pro as it is a memory error as opposed to a clash.

@ Nogard
Did this happen at every boot ?
How much RAM do you have and how many sticks of RAM ?

@ Tech
I wonder if it would be a worthwhile exercise to get ashserv.exe complete a crash dump or f that is possible at this early stage ?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:34:06 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nogard

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:36:30 PM »
Yes it happens at every boot. I have about 640 RAM.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:45:02 PM »
Well 640MB would indicate two sticks 512 and 128. Mixing RAM shouldn't be a problem but you may have a faulty stick of RAM.

Ideally you should have the 512MB stick in the first slot (slot 0) - you could try switching them over and test or take one out to see if one is causing a problem.

Edit: Something I just thought of, that light bulb moment. If you can get in and open the Program Settings, Troubleshooting, check the 'Delay loading of avast services after other system services' and see if that has any effect.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:48:07 PM by DavidR »

Nogard

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:50:21 PM »
OK, I'll try that and see if it works. The 512 is in the first slot and the 128 is in the second slot.

Nogard

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »
Looks like both sticks are working. I get no errors about them not working when I place 1 in at a time. I still get the ashserv.exe application error no matter which stick is in. I also tried to reboot my computer 2 times and get the same error.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 10:47:08 PM »
Do you get the same message when you run (or restart) the avast service manually? (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 10:51:56 PM »
OK, I'll try that and see if it works. The 512 is in the first slot and the 128 is in the second slot.
Somewhere I've read that you should do the contrary, using the first slot with the smaller stick.

Nogard

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 10:52:33 PM »
Do you get the same message when you run (or restart) the avast service manually? (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services).

Thanks
Vlk

Yes I do.

OK I can try to put the smaller stick in the first slot.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:55:00 PM by Nogard »

Nogard

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 11:02:22 PM »
I did it the other way around. The smaller one first but I still get the error.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 11:23:28 PM »
Please, answer Vlk's question:

It's difficult to guess where the problem could be... maybe troubleshooting route must include disabling providers (one by one) and see if it works... Isn't anything related into Windows Events or anything more in avast logs?

Nogard

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 11:29:51 PM »
Nothing in my log or anything. I might have to uninstall avast and install avg or something. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 11:32:14 PM by Nogard »