Author Topic: A new user and a question  (Read 6245 times)

Who Am I

A new user and a question
« on: March 02, 2004, 10:36:51 AM »
Hi there,

I downloaded Avast home today after really loooooots of recommendations and getting lots of good points for it.
I registered it and updated.
man... the first impression have already made me reeeaaaal happy.
nice and innovative
:)
now the question
I also have AVG 7 which also has a resident shield
Avast has on-access scanner and VRDB generator, now I also have the cleaner
now i know these 3 are really nice and no resource waster.
but still I would want to know if I should go on with three running at same time?
Is it ok to have Avast and AVG running together?

whocares

Re:A new user and a question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 10:44:16 AM »

I also have AVG 7 which also has a resident shield
Avast has on-access scanner
but still I would want to know if I should go on with three running at same time?

Nooo!!!
Never ever run 2 AV-On-Access-Scanners=Monitors=Resident shields together: permanently disable one of them

(but you can have as many On-Demand-Scanners="normal" scanners installed as you like, just running them at the same time is not ideal either)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 02:04:50 PM »
On that subject. I notice that when I run avast! to manually scan my files the "globe" is turnings as well. Does that mean that BOTH the on-access scanner, and the manual scanner check all the files. Won't that slow things down.  

Should there maybe be an option in the normal manual scanner to "disable on-access scanner while scanning" to prevent the double scanning (and extra time used) ?
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 02:16:49 PM »
On that subject. I notice that when I run avast! to manually scan my files the "globe" is turnings as well. Does that mean that BOTH the on-access scanner, and the manual scanner check all the files. Won't that slow things down.  

Should there maybe be an option in the normal manual scanner to "disable on-access scanner while scanning" to prevent the double scanning (and extra time used) ?

It could be a security leakage...  :-\
You can be running the manual scanner and using the computer for other things (p2p, Internet, Mail...) and you could caught a virus while just scanning and with the on-access resident off. Just my opinion...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 02:32:16 PM »
I notice that when I run avast! to manually scan my files the "globe" is turnings as well. Does that mean that BOTH the on-access scanner, and the manual scanner check all the files. Won't that slow things down.

That should not happen - the on-demand file-checks should not be monitored by the on-access scanner. Are you sure the icon isn't rotating for some other reason? (other programs accessing files in the background, e-mails being downloaded, ...)
You can check the particular resident providers in the resident protection control window - "Last scanned".

avast! 4 and AVG 7 seem to run together quite well... but it's mostly a coincidence (for example, avast! certainly doesn't run together with AVG 6). In general, it's not a good idea to run more resident protections simultaneously.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 03:45:22 PM »
It also very much depends on the OS you're using... most of the collisions are present only under WinNT/2K/XP, not Win9x/ME
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

autumnleaves

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 06:42:18 PM »
When I downloaded AVAST! I was told to disable AVG 6.0 as the two were not compatible.... :-\

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 08:41:13 PM »
As igor already said,AVG7 and avast! 4 work well together,but this doesn't apply to AVG6!
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 11:33:28 PM »
As igor already said, AVG7 and avast! 4 work well together,but this doesn't apply to AVG6!

Do you mean both just installed and only one resident or both resident?
Can somebody posts the advantages/disavantages of AVG 7.0 and avast!?  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 09:42:58 AM »
AVG7 seems to work together with avast! even when both the resident protections are activate. As I said, however, it is an exception.