Author Topic: Right click on desktop freezes windows  (Read 21919 times)

StavrosSerres

Right click on desktop freezes windows
« on: September 15, 2007, 05:00:55 PM »
I have an acer laptop AMD Athlon 64 3400+, Windows XP Home, 512GB RAM, and from the first day that i bought the laptop I chose AVAST for my antivirus protection. Unfortunatly that didn't happen since when i was trying to right click on the desktop or to copy and paste any file from different folders the computer freezes.After a couple attempts I manage to work properly. When i deactivate avast everything runs smoothly. Because of that problem I swiched to norton for the past year. A few days ago I tried again avast and what a supprise I didn't have the old problem. I read a lot of good and maybe relevant information on the forum like to wait untill avast doesn't scan something etc. Unfortunatly my joy wasn't to last long since yesterday I had the same problem RIGHT CLICK ON DESKTOP SCREEN FROOZEN. Did anybody have the same problem? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 05:05:00 PM by StavrosSerres »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Right click on desktop freezes windows
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 05:32:08 PM »
and from the first day that i bought the laptop I chose AVAST for my antivirus protection.
Wasn't there any other antivirus installed with the computer? Like Norton or McAfee?
If Norton is not correctly and fully uninstalled, avast won't work...

Because of that problem I swiched to norton for the past year. A few days ago I tried again avast and what a supprise I didn't have the old problem. I read a lot of good and maybe relevant information on the forum like to wait untill avast doesn't scan something etc. Unfortunatly my joy wasn't to last long since yesterday I had the same problem RIGHT CLICK ON DESKTOP SCREEN FROOZEN. Did anybody have the same problem? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Please, follow...
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista 2008.0.0.21.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Full SymNRT info:

1. Download and save these three files to the Windows desktop:
   a) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/MSIFIX.bat
   b) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe
   c) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg

2. Run the three files that you just downloaded
   a) On the Windows desktop, double-click the MSIFIX icon.
      Click Run.
      A black window may appear very briefly.
   b) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SymNRT icon.
      Click Run.
      Click Next.
      Click I accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
      Type the letters and numbers that you see in the white box, and then click Next.
      Click Yes or OK at each prompt.
      You may need to click more than once. Your computer may be restarted for you more than once.
      You may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.
   c) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SYMMSICLEANUP icon.
      Click Run, and then click Yes.
      Click OK.

3. Boot.
The best things in life are free.

StavrosSerres

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 08:05:14 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Some additional info. The avast was the first antivirus ever installed on the computer when i had those problems.

Norton is fully uninstalled. When i use  Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista 2008.0.0.21 since i have norton gost and Symantec winfax Pro it says that i have to remove those 2 in order to proceed. Is there a way to avoid uninstall?

The full SymNRT info what is it and do i have to do the steps you said after i make sure that norton is unistalled or do them anyway?

Thanks again

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »
Norton is fully uninstalled.
No, it's not... unfortunatelly when you run Norton Removal Tool you'll remove the remains of it.
I suggest, if you can, uninstall norton ghost and Symantec winfax Pro by Control Panel.
Then run the NRT again and remove everything.
Then install avast and after it the other two Symantec products.

The full SymNRT info what is it and do i have to do the steps you said after i make sure that norton is unistalled or do them anyway?
You can do them anyway... but, now, follow the suggestion (uninstalling) that I've posted just now (above).

StavrosSerres

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:05:11 PM »
Tech thanks for your advice but I still get the same problem. I have followed your instructions but I still get the froozen desktop when i right click on it our the folder I open to create a new folder. The strange thing is that before i do aby of the above it allows me to right click on the taskbar. And when I disable avast then i can work with no problem.
Any other suggestions appart of uninstalling avast?
Also I must add that sometimes after a period of time like 5 to 10 min everything works smoothly. Do you thing that at the begining avast is scanning something or is busy?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:12:11 PM by StavrosSerres »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »
Also I must add that sometimes after a period of time like 5 to 10 min everything works smoothly. Do you thing that at the begining avast is scanning something or is busy?
It could be. Test two things:
1. On Program Settings > Troubleshooting > Delay avast services start.
2. To delay the update of avast into a permanent internet connection (DSL) you can change the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds into avast4.ini file.
More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

Alan's experience: This is especially true during Windows update week.  Windows automatic updates seem to hog resources even to just determine that updates do exist but you are just not allowed to download them yet (to prevent overload of Microsoft's servers).  So this is happening at every startup during the Windows update period until you have been permitted to download the updates.  Although I do not have "smoking gun" logs to prove it (a bit hard to get on an overloaded system at startup) I am reasonably certain that the Windows automatic update process, at this time, can prevent the avast automatic VPS update from getting timely access to it servers and causing avast to report an automatic update error - especially on older, less powerful systems.    This past week was Windows update week, some folks this week waited 4 or 5 days before being permitted to download the Windows updates through the automatic update process.

StavrosSerres

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 06:44:11 PM »
I have openned the ini file but the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds is not writen and the AssumeAlwaysConnected is default 0 but I have a DSL connection. Sould I change the value from 0 to 1 and what about the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds why isn't it writen.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:21:20 PM »
I have openned the ini file but the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds is not writen and the AssumeAlwaysConnected is default 0 but I have a DSL connection. Sould I change the value from 0 to 1 and what about the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds why isn't it writen.
It's not written as avast read the default from other parts than the ini file only.
It's said here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10233#msg10233 the first post of that thread, in blue letters. You can change the 0 or 1 by GUI (Program settings > Updated (Connections) tab) and ADD the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value in seconds.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 07:22:57 PM by Tech »

StavrosSerres

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 07:23:59 PM »
My mistake sorry!! ::) Thanks! I will try it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
My mistake sorry!! ::) Thanks! I will try it.
Don't worry. We're here to help 8)

StavrosSerres

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »
Well after a weekend of testing and trying things the problem remains. The thing is that is so strainge. No one else that i know was experience such a problem.

Still open to suggestions Tech. I have tried the delays but nothing happened.

The thing is that when i right click on the desktop and it freezes if i log off and log on again in order to avoid hard restart the problem is gone (well not always but most of the times).

And the other thing is that when windows are loaded before doing anything when I right click on the icon of avast and stop protection on access (i am not sure how it is in english) then i right click on the desktop (which works and doesn't freeze) and then start avast again I have no problem afterwards.

I give you as many information as possible in order to help. It is not that i don't have an other option for antivirus but I realy want to find out what is wrong.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
1. On Program Settings > Troubleshooting > Delay avast services start.
Did you follow this?

StavrosSerres

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 10:00:18 PM »
yes i did. And the second suggestion as well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 04:11:06 AM »
yes i did. And the second suggestion as well.
But it does not solve, doesn't it?
Strange... but something in low level seems to be conflicting with avast. Maybe other security program... or an old antivirus installed and poorly uninstalled...

StavrosSerres

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
The thing is that even after a format and installing only avast I have the same problem.