Author Topic: Right click on desktop freezes windows  (Read 21733 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Right click on desktop freezes windows
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 10:28:11 AM »
Does this happen right after you start your computer or is random?

jmcquadesr

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »
hey bud, My wife had a similar problem on hers. We started noticing on a Heavy load start, The machine would freeze. SOMETIMES it would recover, and others it would just hardlock. Even after reinstalling, removing all the hardware but the video card, it still did it. Come to find out, there was a stress fracture on the CPU. after taking it out, I noticed it. So I changed CPU's and it was fine.  

As for you changing AV's and It not doing it. Try this... There is a program called (heat up) which puts stress on the CPU. one program that has it is MBM5 (Mother Board Monitor 5). Problem is the last thing I knew they stopped working on MBM5, but I recall you can download it from from here, http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311. Thats the last known version they did. The site that used to make it, Is no longer up. The only thing you need to know prior to installing MBM5 is your motherboard model, OR computer model. (Acer). when setting it up, and you get to choose your settings, Before to click update, then move to next. Choose your setup you have.

Once you have it installed, goto c:\program files\mbm5 There (should) be a folder called heat-up unless they changed it. I haven;t used the program in a while because I haven;t needed to. Upon getting to Heat-up , Double click on it. Let it run for about 5-10 Min's. (your machine WILL bog down) It will be under 100% CPU usuage. Typically, (IF) your CPU is damaged from stress it will hardlock!!! if the CPU is fine, typically it won't. This is how I found her (my wife's) problem with her CPU. It that fails, Let me know. and I have a few other trick up my sleeve.

also, MBM5 is the only software that has heat-up. Or that I've come across. maybe someone on the boards has it, and can put just that file on a FTP for you to download. If i had MBM5 installed at the moment I would for you. If you like I can grab it, and get the file for you, and place it on my ftp.

StavrosSerres

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »
Does this happen right after you start your computer or is random?
It happens just after I start windows. It is not random.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 10:57:55 AM »

When I shut down my computer, I set my firewall to block all. when I restart the computer, since I have always connected selected as the type of connection, avast will imediately try to update. If I try to do anything on the desktop without first allowing traffic through the firewall, the computer will seem to freeze for af few minutes. I believe this to due to avast trying to get it's update check done asap and ties things up completey. Once the firewall is open, everything is fine.

One thing that I found to work is set your connection to dialup. This way avast will check for a connection first, then do the update. Perhaps you could try this and see if it helps?

jmcquadesr

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 11:04:40 AM »

One thing that I found to work is set your connection to dial-up. This way avast will check for a connection first, then do the update. Perhaps you could try this and see if it helps?

take the process and set it to low priority. I know people with low end machines that do that, and They haven't had a single issue with ANY program. just adjust that level. the program works, just uses less CPU :)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 11:10:41 AM »
If that was directed at me, no can do.  8)

StavrosSerres

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 11:11:50 AM »
hey bud, My wife had a similar problem on hers. We started noticing on a Heavy load start, The machine would freeze. SOMETIMES it would recover, and others it would just hardlock. Even after reinstalling, removing all the hardware but the video card, it still did it. Come to find out, there was a stress fracture on the CPU. after taking it out, I noticed it. So I changed CPU's and it was fine.  
Thanks for the info Sand Viper but this summer I have send the laptop to acer since it was sutting down after a while and they performed a similar test with BurnInTest. The problem was to much dust, they said! But if there was a problem with CPU why it appears only when I install avast not with norton which is havier?

StavrosSerres

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »

When I shut down my computer, I set my firewall to block all. when I restart the computer, since I have always connected selected as the type of connection, avast will imediately try to update. If I try to do anything on the desktop without first allowing traffic through the firewall, the computer will seem to freeze for af few minutes. I believe this to due to avast trying to get it's update check done asap and ties things up completey. Once the firewall is open, everything is fine.

One thing that I found to work is set your connection to dialup. This way avast will check for a connection first, then do the update. Perhaps you could try this and see if it helps?
Before following Techs suggestions avast! by default is set to dialup connection. Hence I don't thing that this could be the problem since I set a delay as well for the update. Also mine doesn;t freeze for minutes but just freezes. What I can try is to set the updates to manual. That would show if that causes any problem. Wouldn't you agree?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 11:21:58 AM »
One thing you could do to eliminate the update process from the picture, is set the vps update to manual, just temorarily. You can always update manually anytime you want to anways. If the problem presists, then the updating not is the problem.

Edit you read my mind

StavrosSerres

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 12:46:47 PM »
One thing you could do to eliminate the update process from the picture, is set the vps update to manual, just temorarily. You can always update manually anytime you want to anways. If the problem presists, then the updating not is the problem.

Edit you read my mind
Well updating is not the problem. At least I thing that I have tried everything as far as the updating is concerned. The strange thing is that I can right click on a folder or a sortcut on the desktop without freezing but not on the desktop itself. Where does avast interact with the desktop?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 07:32:41 PM »
Did you set both vps and program updates to manual?  If you did them that about rules out the update process.

StavrosSerres

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 09:11:09 PM »
Did you set both vps and program updates to manual?  If you did them that about rules out the update process.
Yes i did. It has to do something with the desktop itself. Well either I am going to keep avast and do a couple of tricks before i start using windows or just uninstall it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 11:39:58 PM »
Where does avast interact with the desktop?
Which is your Standard Shield sensitivity level? High or Normal?

Can you post a screenshot of your desktop?
To know how to post a screenshot, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0
You can use Gadwin PrintScreen to get a screenshot (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/) or the free version of WinSnap 1.1.10 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_winsnap/?2173).

Which programs are set to run at startup?
The best things in life are free.

StavrosSerres

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 10:46:15 AM »
Where does avast interact with the desktop?
Which is your Standard Shield sensitivity level? High or Normal?

Which programs are set to run at startup?

All the sensitivity is set to normal.
No programs are set to run at startup appart from avast and comodo.
Here is the snap shot.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 11:06:29 AM »
When it freezes, is it possible to left click the "a" icon on the taskbar and see what avast is scanning? Or is everthing including the mouse frozen?