Author Topic: problem downloading latest Avast version from popup  (Read 4143 times)

Liz

problem downloading latest Avast version from popup
« on: September 15, 2007, 10:30:31 PM »
Hi guys,

Avast has been notifying me with the green popup window thingie that there is a new version available for download, every day since--whenever it came out.  I click on where it says to click, it looks like it's going to download (the little blue circle spins--I have Vista) but it never downloads.

Just to check, I booted up my Win 98 computer that has Avast on it and when the green box appeared I clicked on it and it downloaded fine, as it always has.

I notice that the green box pops up and down a lot faster on my new computer.  I have also noticed that Vista is a memory hog, runs really slow, and even with 2 gb of RAM I have had to disable Vista Aero to get some more speed.  I know very little about computers, but it seems that Avast is just too fast for Vista and the popup is gone before Vista can respond!?

I have 4.7.1029 and the one that downloaded to my old computer is 4.7.1043

I went to the site to see if I could just download directly from there but didn't see where to do it.

Any help?

thanks!
Liz

CharleyO

Re: problem downloading latest Avast version from popup
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 10:43:53 PM »

Did you try a manual update to see if that works?

Right click avast ball in tray > Updating > AVS Update

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 10:51:42 PM »
But it seems that Avast is just too fast for Vista and the popup is gone before Vista can respond!?
On Vista, the different levels of running programs (service, user, superuser, administrator, etc.) could be the problem.
If you right click the 'a' blue icon and choose Update > Program, will it work

I went to the site to see if I could just download directly from there but didn't see where to do it.
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
The best things in life are free.

mbourne

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:25:02 PM »
There is a problem with clicking on the pop-ups on Vista in that version. Basically, it needs admin access to work, but Avast! wasn't asking for it (via UAC). It's fixed in the latest version (4.7.1043). To update to that, right click the Avast! icon, select Updating, then Program Update. After that, I think you should be able to update to the next version by clicking on the message.

At least, the blue "Virus database has been updated, click for more info" pop-up never showed any more info on clicking because of this problem, and that is now fixed. I assume the program update would have been fixed as well.

Liz

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:53:23 PM »
Yay, going to 'update' and clicking on 'program' downloaded the new program version in a few seconds,

Thanks so much, all you guys!  Good to know the problem has been fixed in this new version.  Also found a way to let the new program versions download automatically so don't even have to click now.

Liz

ykeniston

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 11:07:59 PM »
hello..... i have had the popup telling me i need to update my avast..... thought i did what it said.... now i find it has been unistalled .... HELP PLEASE I AM STILL NEW TO ALL THIS........ Yvonne

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 11:24:22 PM »
Are you sure this was an avast notification as there should be no need to uninstall before an update.

What is your operating system ?
What makes you think avast has been uninstalled ?
Is it because the avast icon is missing ?

Are there any avast processes in windows task manager, they begin with ash or asw ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 11:29:15 PM »
hello..... i have had the popup telling me i need to update my avast..... thought i did what it said.... now i find it has been unistalled .... HELP PLEASE I AM STILL NEW TO ALL THIS........ Yvonne
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- What avast! version are you using or trying to install? Home version, Trial or Professional?
- Which actions have you taken to try solving the problem?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?

ykeniston

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:00:57 AM »
HI... I HAVE BEEN GETTING A BLUE POPUP SAYING MY VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED... THEN A BIT LATER ANOTHER POPUP IN RED SAYING I NEED TO UPDATE ????????? I HAVE NO ICON FOR AVAST NOW.....I HAVE AN ANTI VIRUS FROM WINDOWS 2006 WHICH I "HOPE " IS WORKING ... IN NEED OF MY AVAST I THINK .. I HAVE PROFESSIONAL 2000 MODEL COMPUTER...... ANY HELP ???????    YVONNE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 12:54:35 AM »
The caps lock key is on the left. It is considered shouting to use all caps.

I feel you may have been the subject of scum ware that may say you are vulnerable, etc. and to download now. The reason I say this is because of your mention of "I have and anti-virus from windows 2006" that I assume was installed after clicking the other pop-up saying you need to update.

That may well have killed the avast icon. That is why I asked what avast processes are running ?

Try this tool, RogueRemover, available here http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php and let us know the results.

Then try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:05:47 AM »
I HAVE AN ANTI VIRUS FROM WINDOWS 2006 WHICH I "HOPE " IS WORKING ...
Only one antivirus at a time or they will conflict...
Also, is it a rogue program?