Author Topic: Web Shield randomly freezing/stalling/hanging HTTP/browsing  (Read 13187 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web Shield randomly freezing/stalling/hanging HTTP/browsing
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 04:48:26 PM »
Well opening 10-15 pages simultaneously would certainly put some extra load on the web shield, but it shouldn't last a long time and not cause the freeze/stalling/hanging HTTP/Browsing you mention in the title.

Also since you mention random if this only happened when simultaneously opening 10-15 web pages wouldn't be random.

Are there any features/plug-ins in Kerio that monitor web pages for say, Content, Active Content or Ads, etc. (mine, Outpost Pro does and they are all disabled) these might get tangled with the web shield depending on how they work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »
not tried to uninstall but disabled the service with ( net.exe stop SPF4 ) and not simply disabled the firewall
with its own disable feature, winxp issued a warning saying "you are without firewall!!" and same thing happens.
Again, it could be not enough as low level drivers loaded at boot time will be there...
The best things in life are free.

silver122003

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 12:03:07 PM »
at last I've uninstalled kerio and the browsing is ok.
The strange thing is that i've installed the same kerio and the same avast, using the
same installation files, into a virtual machine running on the computer that have problem and
from within this vm the browsing is ok.

schar07

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 12:48:30 AM »
It seems that my dump files (sent to Lukas) don't show any stall in WebShield. Moreover it seems that setting the proxy manually into the internet settings doesn't help.

However Kerio loads the service kpf4ss.exe and the device driver fwdrv.sys at boot, the latter of which can't be unloaded simply exiting. When back from a work trip i'll post the findings of completely removing it (bad for the bunch of rules i'll have to re-create in Comodo....).

Thanks,
Schar07

PS: I have a C2D E6600, and i think this started back in end-of-may/june: Kerio was the same, Avast was younger but they worked fine together. May this help? But of course also Windows Update patching was younger :-(
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:52:51 AM by schar07 »

schar07

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 10:02:59 PM »
It seems that removing Kerio and using Comodo solves the issue. Actually it's a weird issue.

Thanks,
Schar07

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 10:13:19 PM »
Thanks for the update.
I can't recall any other reports of this with Kerio, but there certainly have been some other weird issues, good luck with comodo firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 01:20:59 AM »
Actually it's a weird issue.
All firewalls have 'weird' issues from time to time. Kerio is far from being an exception...
The best things in life are free.