Author Topic: Avast Home Edition and Windows Security Center(WSC),problems  (Read 12274 times)

avasta!

Avast Home Edition and Windows Security Center(WSC),problems
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
I use Windows xp Professional,sp2.

Recently I've converted system file from FAT32 to NTFS then WSC doesn't recognize Avast and it says that Windows Firewall is running.
I use Outpost as Firewall and Windows Firewall is stopped.
I've tried Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewall but nothing.
After Reboot WSC said that Windows Firewall is running and no anti-virus is installed.
I've used "rundll32 wbemupgd,UpgradeRepository" with this log:

(Mon Sep 17 12:46:00 2007): ================================================================================
(Mon Sep 17 12:46:00 2007): Beginning WBEM Service Pack Installation
(Mon Sep 17 12:46:00 2007): Current build of wbemupgd.dll is 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
(Mon Sep 17 12:46:00 2007): Current build of wbemcore.dll is 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
(Mon Sep 17 12:46:01 2007): Wbemupgd.dll Service Security upgrade succeeded (XP SP update).
(Mon Sep 17 12:46:01 2007): WBEM Service Pack Installation completed.
(Mon Sep 17 12:46:01 2007): ================================================================================

But the problem persists.
Any suggestion?

Rafel

Re: Avast Home Edition and Windows Security Center(WSC),problems
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »
try reinstalling AVAST.

avasta!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:40:12 PM »
I've uninstalled Avast through Add/Remove programs,reboot.
Re-installed,update iAVS,reboot again.
The problem still persists!

I've tried also
"rundll32 wbemupgd,RepairWMISetup" but it doesn't recognize the command RepairWMISetup!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:50:07 PM by avasta! »

avasta!

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:32:08 PM »
I tried these steps:
-Repair Avast through Add/remove programs,no luck
-uninstalled from Add/remove programs then run aswclear.exe utility,shut down the system.Boot.Installed Avast 4.7 Home.Reboot.Update iAVS.No luck

Anything else?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »
Anything else?
Maybe this helps... [Edited: you've tested before]
Sometimes, only overinstallation of Windows could solve... and you won't lose your programs, settings, data, files, etc.
Just choose 'Repair' installation of Windows and install 'over' the old installation.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:04:43 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

philop901

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
I read somewhere that it might be the cause of a corrupted Repository folder.

Try these, click "start" then "run" then type "cmd" without the qoutes, into the open dialog.

Then copy paste this

net stop winmgmt
rd %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Repository
net start winmgmt

avasta!

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
I read somewhere that it might be the cause of a corrupted Repository folder.

Try these, click "start" then "run" then type "cmd" without the qoutes, into the open dialog.

Then copy paste this

net stop winmgmt
rd %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Repository
net start winmgmt

Problem still persists. :-\

to Tech: I'll try with "sfc /scannow" command before overwrite OS
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:43:57 PM by avasta! »

avasta!

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »
I looked on event viewer and there's always an error with 1802 event ID,source:Securitycenter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 07:41:26 PM »
to Tech: I'll try with "sfc /scannow" command before overwrite OS
It's a tentative... although I don't think it will solve...
Did you try deleting the folder like I've posted in that link (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.0)?

avasta!

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »
Did you try deleting the folder like I've posted in that link (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.0)?
Of course but with no results!
sfc /scannow command don't solve the problem...
I'll try to find something about this Event Id:1802,maybe i'll find an answer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »
If the event IE is always the same, check the Task Manager and see what the process is.

Can you paste the full contents of the event log entry, that often has things such as faulting program and more importantly faulting module.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

avasta!

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 10:23:48 PM »
If the event IE is always the same, check the Task Manager and see what the process is.
Should have I write the processes running in Task Manager?

Can you paste the full contents of the event log entry, that often has things such as faulting program and more importantly faulting module.

The event says something like this
"The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall"
or in italian language
"Impossibile creare query degli eventi con WMI per effettuare il monitoraggio di programmi antivirus e firewall di terze parti"
EVENT ID :1802
Source:Security Center
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:27:16 PM by avasta! »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 12:27:59 AM »
1. No it was a poorly worded question and one which might not reveal an answer. I was hoping that there might be a reference to a PID (process Identity) in the text of the Event log entry.

2. Your text of the log shows that it isn't just an issue with avast as the Security Center is unable to query any firewall details either.

So there is something wrong with the WMI process that deleting or renaming or running repository repairs as outlined in this topic and the other links given.

Unfortunately the only one that I would have though work would have been the sfc /scannow (system file checker) that Tech suggested, which checks for corrupt system files and replaces those it finds to be corrupt.

I did a google search, http://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+Security+Center+Service+was+unable+to+establish+event+queries+with+WMI that returns a number of hits.

This seems the same issue (different AV and possibly firewall same error message)and brings up something totally different that worked for them, I have no idea if it will be the same for you, http://forums.techguy.org/3307143-post3.html, if not you will need to check the results of the google search and see what you can find.

Apparently the path in my window's environment was corrupted (right click my computer, property, advance, environment variable. The path %SystemRoot%\System32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM and the path to the Zone Alarm directory was missing. Windows Security began to recognize Zone Alarm and Kaspersky (it is a very good antivirus) immediately after I corrected the path. That also corrected the local security failure error (control panel, windows asministrator, local security)

I have also deactivated Zone Alarm antivirus and rely on Kaspersky (someone told me that Zone Laram antivirus will conflict with other antivirus and Kaspersky alone is good enough).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 12:33:52 AM »
Recently I've converted system file from FAT32 to NTFS then WSC doesn't recognize Avast and it says that Windows Firewall is running.
The problem is that avast does not react well to file system changes...
The better is uninstalling it before changing the file system and then install again in NTFS.
I have a problem like yours twice: one was solved by my guide, the other I can't do anything different than overinstallation. It's hard, but MS support for WSC is not the best of all, the most of their solutions and tools just don't work in real world  :'(

The only one that I would have though work would have been the sfc /scannow (system file checker) that Tech suggested, which checks for corrupt system files and replaces those it finds to be corrupt.
I'm not sure but I think sfc has nothing to do with repositories and won't even touch it...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 01:42:18 AM »
The only one that I would have though work would have been the sfc /scannow (system file checker) that Tech suggested, which checks for corrupt system files and replaces those it finds to be corrupt.
I'm not sure but I think sfc has nothing to do with repositories and won't even touch it...

That is entirely correct but this problem doesn't appear to be about the repositories but the inability to carry out the query with WMI, as the text of the event viewer entry states.

"The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall"

Which is why I thought it might be file corruption in the WMI that perhaps sfc might be able to resolve, but it didn't.